Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need to quit smoking

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:47 AM
  • 44 Replies

Obviously for the health reasons but that I pay for this crap annoys the heck out of me.  I can always quit for someone else, like when I was pregnant, but DH smokes and it makes it hard. He does not want to quit.

I can't use the patch as it triggers migraines.  I am afraid of that medication for quitting smoking since I am med sensitive and it can have psych side effects.

Are there other inexpensive or insurance-covered smoking cessation items out there?

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Call your insurance and find out! Look in the phone book or google smoking cessation programs. I had an app on my phone that I used...really made a difference to see that I had gone so long without, I really wanted to quit!
Put the money that you would have spent or budgeted for cigarettes in a jar and watch that grow!
I can tell you that chewing gum and candy didn't really help me. I know it worked for my girlfriend, she is practically addicted to those butterscotch candies now. I have another girlfriend that saves her money for trips to the beach (3 hours away) - she hasn't smoked for about 4 years now but she still saves that money religiously!
Good luck - I really hope you find something that works for you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

i dont have any help but wanted to say GOOD for you for wanting to try and stop and best wishes!! it is tough but can be done!!

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:02 PM
I just wanna say GOOD LUCK!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Good for you for even wanting to try!!

Some states have programs to help with quitting. You might call your county department of health to find out.

My MIL switched to the electronic cigarettes. That is supposed to be better I guess. You might look into that too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
caseyloo
by Casey on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Both my dh and I read Allan Carr's "The Easy way to Quit smoking".  I was really skeptical about using a book to quit, but my boss at work used it and it worked for her.  It worked like a dream.  The thing I like is that he insists that you keep smoking while you are reading the book, it really took the pressure off.  I suggest it to everyone who wants to quit and almost everyone I know who's read it has quit.  I quit the day I finished the book and have never smoked again, (7 years).  And I didn't gain any weight.  Plus you can get it from the library, so it would be free to read.

Good luck!

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:35 PM
My dh read that a few years ago. He still smokes lol.

Quoting caseyloo:

Both my dh and I read Allan Carr's "The Easy way to Quit smoking".  I was really skeptical about using a book to quit, but my boss at work used it and it worked for her.  It worked like a dream.  The thing I like is that he insists that you keep smoking while you are reading the book, it really took the pressure off.  I suggest it to everyone who wants to quit and almost everyone I know who's read it has quit.  I quit the day I finished the book and have never smoked again, (7 years).  And I didn't gain any weight.  Plus you can get it from the library, so it would be free to read.

Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Valerie on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I'll look into it on some of the used books sites I visit.  Thanks!

Quoting caseyloo:

Good luck!

matreshka
by Valerie on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:58 PM

MA definitely does, I should probabably bite the bullet and call my primary care or my health insurance.  At this point i am even willing to do hypnotherapy to quit.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Good for you for even wanting to try!!

Some states have programs to help with quitting. You might call your county department of health to find out.

My MIL switched to the electronic cigarettes. That is supposed to be better I guess. You might look into that too.

matreshka
by Valerie on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Thanks.  I wish DH would quit with me but he's not ready.

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)