Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

How DIY are you?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM
  • 47 Replies

Do you DIY because you like projects, like to save money or both?

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
redneck_kids
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Both

BostonMomma08
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Both!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:23 AM

both, except when it comes to cars

zinniadaisy
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Both - I'm not terribly good at a lot of DIY projects like repairs, but my husband and I are getting in the habit of thinking out ways we could solve the problem/make the improvement ourselves first, then if that's not an opion, we'll look into hiring someone...

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Both! DH and I both enjoy working on cars and we manage to make a little side money by helping others with small repairs and maintenance. A lot of my crafts are selling, which has also helped bring in a little extra cash.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chicken13
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Both.  Dh is super capable and it seems that what he isn't good at...I am.  

laurag8707
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I do it for both reasons and I am not nearly as diy as I would like to be but I plan to completely change that as I am investing in a rental property with my taxes and the more money I can save on projects the better.

ripemango
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know if you meant crafts or home repair (which we do ourselves a bit too) but much of my DIY concerns food. I like multiple things about it. I like that it is something I do w my daughter so we get some 'us' time. She is at the age where being in the kitchen helping Mommy is fun and I really enjoy that. Sometimes when tilling, planting, harvesting or processing fruits/vegetables it is an entire family event and I feel like it is actively demonstrating to my child how to properly grow food. I think it's a great learning experience and there is something about sitting around w your family shucking corn that just feels 'right' - every1 working together for a common goal. There is a tremendous sense of satisfaction of puttting food away for the fall and winter months. It of course does save money and I like knowing exactly what goes into the soil and into our pans.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

matreshka
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I was thinking repairs, making things for the household.  I would love to be able to garden but we rent.

Quoting ripemango:

I don't know if you meant crafts or home repair (which we do ourselves a bit too) but much of my DIY concerns food. I like multiple things about it. I like that it is something I do w my daughter so we get some 'us' time. She is at the age where being in the kitchen helping Mommy is fun and I really enjoy that. Sometimes when tilling, planting, harvesting or processing fruits/vegetables it is an entire family event and I feel like it is actively demonstrating to my child how to properly grow food. I think it's a great learning experience and there is something about sitting around w your family shucking corn that just feels 'right' - every1 working together for a common goal. There is a tremendous sense of satisfaction of puttting food away for the fall and winter months. It of course does save money and I like knowing exactly what goes into the soil and into our pans.

ripemango
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:32 PM

We have used youtube more than once concerning home repair and maintenance. There is really a wealth of information out there. We recently installed a dishwasher. It seemed like such a little thing to do but w proper leveling and such it took hours. Our next attempt will be installing a new stove, but we are getting help from a family member who has worked w gas before for that 1.

What kind of things do you make for your home?

Quoting matreshka:

I was thinking repairs, making things for the household.  I would love to be able to garden but we rent.

Quoting ripemango:

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)