Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my frugal but delicious lunch

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:20 PM
  • 17 Replies
On Thursday I made too many noodles that i thought would go to waste. Last night I made a shrimp cream sauce for our tilapia but there was still some sauce left. It was so good i wasn't throwing it out even though there was only one shrimp left. Sure the meal cost us about twice as much as my meals usually cost but it was still way cheaper than eating out. So to stretch that cost more Im thawing a few more shrimp and sauteed them and add it to the sauce. And put the sauce over the noodles. Yummy
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
caseyloo
by Casey on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I love when I can unexpectedly stretch a meal!

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Yeah. Especially since it was a bit more expensive than normal.

Quoting caseyloo:

I love when I can unexpectedly stretch a meal!

Pink.Frosting
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm always saving little bits of sauces or gravies.  I can at least put them in soups and stews.  At the very least, if I don't think we will use them they can go towards the dog's food.  It will get put in *someone's* stomach!  Waste not, want not.

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:15 PM
And i found a new recipe for another Friday during lent. All the sauce was was milk, cream cheese, white wine and shrimp.
thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Sounds good!

Might I ask, how do you get noodles you cooked previously, to not turn into a gelatinous/hard mess?

If I try to save pasta I already cooked it turns into something resembling playdough.

I'd love to learn to do that with pasta, my SO would die! (I dont know how to cook shrimp either!)

lyrick24
by Melissa on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:28 PM

that sounds delicious!

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Idk. I just rinse it after i drain it in a lil cold water. Then refrigerate leftovers

I'll have to find the recipe again but i will post the sauce when i get home. The easiest way i sauteed shrimp is put a lil butter in a skillet and cook the shrimp. Putting your favorite seasoning.

Quoting thefiregoddess:

Sounds good!

Might I ask, how do you get noodles you cooked previously, to not turn into a gelatinous/hard mess?

If I try to save pasta I already cooked it turns into something resembling playdough.

I'd love to learn to do that with pasta, my SO would die! (I dont know how to cook shrimp either!)

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Yum!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:48 PM
So dh is usually asleep during dinner but I bring him a plate and he eats half asleep. I wasn't raised Catholic or ever participated in lent so I wasn't thinking and I reheated Valentine's Days shrimp and steak meal and he ate it....and then realized it was lent. I felt so bad!!

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

And i found a new recipe for another Friday during lent. All the sauce was was milk, cream cheese, white wine and shrimp.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:26 PM
He's catholic?

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

So dh is usually asleep during dinner but I bring him a plate and he eats half asleep. I wasn't raised Catholic or ever participated in lent so I wasn't thinking and I reheated Valentine's Days shrimp and steak meal and he ate it....and then realized it was lent. I felt so bad!!

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)