Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Bulk rice/bean/flour freezing question?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:59 PM
  • 16 Replies
I know that it is best to freeze flour twice to kill all the bugs and things in it to keep it from going bad/getting bugs.

Do you need to do something similar to bulk beans and rice to prevent bugs. I would think that the beans and or rice would absorb moisture in the freezer but I may be wrong..

Bulk food storage mama's what do you do?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabearlehman
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I would can the beans and use food grade 5 gallon buckets for the rest. I don't freeze flour but my friends vaccum seal and freeze it

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I stored them in airtight containers in the freezer.

TexanMomOf6
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth. There is also a pool grade but it is not safe for consumption. I read were you can add it directly into the dry goods. Has sharp edges and pierces the exoskeleton of insects. They dehydrate and die. Just Google it.

a_and_j_momma
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:48 PM
3 moms liked this
I store my bags inside ziplock bags in the cupboard. I have never had or seen bugs
tiredmomfor2
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I do something similar..but was just wondering about it. Wanted to check and make sure I wasn't doing something I should be. lol

Quoting a_and_j_momma:

I store my bags inside ziplock bags in the cupboard. I have never had or seen bugs

specialwingz
by Corey on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:54 AM

I vacuum seal everything and store it in the freezer.

lrose57
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:08 AM
The ziplocs do not keep the bugs out...we had a infestation of flour bugs and they were black moths,,,.had to bleach all of the cabinet shelves, and they were even in my cookbook pages! Had to freeze all of the flours and keep in freezer and then I was told that bay leaves kept them away...so I taped bay lea ves on the shelves, put in the lids of the jars that I had pasta and rice in and it seems to work. e Always check when you open a bag or box for little egg type stuff or things moving.....yuk! Now we have a few mice that like my stash and my glue traps work, but the dogs found them before I did...getting the glue off of the dogs was fun....
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I haven't had any bugs in any of those things I just keep them in air tight containers in the pantry.

funkycat
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I recently learned that the standard for flour and cornmeal putity allows for bug eggs, like weavels and worms. The standards are lower than 30 years ago. Sad to learn this.

marney.p
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I store openend rice and flour in the fridge. it seems ok.

But I have a big fridge,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN