Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Bulk rice/bean/flour freezing question?

Posted by   + Show Post
I know that it is best to freeze flour twice to kill all the bugs and things in it to keep it from going bad/getting bugs.

Do you need to do something similar to bulk beans and rice to prevent bugs. I would think that the beans and or rice would absorb moisture in the freezer but I may be wrong..

Bulk food storage mama's what do you do?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Replies (11-16):
swimmom05
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:18 PM

eew! I did not know the standard permitted bug eggs.  I am disgusted. Now I want to toss all the flour in my house!

bikerlady007
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this

WOW!!! I haven't had this problem in years!!   I do check the plastic bag for little pin-prick type holes when I buy it (beans/lentils, rice etc) and make sure that flour is sealed.  When I get home, I empty them into air tight containers.  For lentils and beans, I use old spaghetti sauce jars, I have a long tall air tight spaghetti jar, and have collected several large glass containers over the years that I use for other pastas (They look rather cute and cottegy on display) I got big plastic screw top containers from the doller store for my flours and sugars and rice.  By being really diligent about it, I haven't had the mealy bugs for almost 10 years now... Good Luck!

tatinbriansmom
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I have the five gallon buckets. I keep the rice in there. I buy vanned beans.

yanamom
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I use glass containers for flour and sugar, never thought about putting them in the freezer.  I put farina (cream of wheat) in the freezer.  Never had a problem with bugs in beans.  Occasionally, we will have a problem with bugs in the rice.  If you don't have freezer room, use glass containers.  Spagetti sauce jars work great for smaller amounts of beans and rice!  For those of you who buy in bulk, I would try to find the big bulk size pickle jars to use!

Just a side note, the FDA allows a small amount of "bug parts" in most processed foods.  For the FDA processed foods are anything that is not bought/sold in its natural state, so flour (ground seeds), sugar (ground/bleached sugar cane), peanut butter, applesauce, babyfood etc can all potentially have "bug parts" or eggs in them!

tiredmomfor2
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:06 PM
This is what I am referring to when I ask if I should freeze rice and beans for a short period of time. People seem to think I am referring to having them in my house and getting into the food.

Quoting funkycat:

I recently learned that the standard for flour and cornmeal putity allows for bug eggs, like weavels and worms. The standards are lower than 30 years ago. Sad to learn this.

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:05 AM
I put a clip on my rice and put it in my pantry. Flour gets put in storage container. Never had bugs in it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN