Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Dinner was free at this restaurant today with friends.

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:58 PM
  • 10 Replies

Some friends invited us to dinner. They called it a belated Valentines Day dinner.   Asked us to meet at 2pm.  2 minutes after 2pm. We are seated.  We're looking at the menu.  It was taking a while for the server to get to us.  Finally some guy comes asks if we want cocktails We order. We're waiting quite a while for those drinks. Finally he comes back to ask for our food order. Everyone is ordering.  We pick our entrees. He was going to walk away. I said excuse me. For appetizer I want. Then tell him.  Finally half hour after we're seated. Our cocktails come.   It was at least a hour before any food came.  All through the dinner. My friends dh Jimmie is complaining how terrible the service is.  He was kind of loud about it.   The waiter was terrible. Totally ignored us.  We're about done eating. Jimmie asks for the bill.  Figuring it might take a while.  Like everything else did.   We get the bill and are ready to leave.  Jimmie insited on paying.  Even after I offered to pay half the bill. He calls the manager over. Tells them how terrible the service was and all that. The manager inisted on us getting the whole bill free. It was 150$ give or take a few dollars including tip. That was for 5 of us. As we took friends mother also who is recently widowed.  Jimmie said.  He'd pay the bill  He just wanted to make management aware of the service.  But that manager inisted on canceling out the transaction.  On his debit card they just took for the bill.  I and my friend didn't expect the whole bill taken off.  We figured maybe just the cocktails or just part of the bill. 

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this

It's Valentine's weekend so it is probably going to be packed everywhere.  That was nice of the manager.

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:24 PM

It certainly was.  But 150$ bill.  I felt was a bit much to take off.  But he insisted. And we came home with leftovers for 2 more meals.  I got spaghetti with marinara. Then some Fettuccini Alfredo.  All I need is meat to eat with it..   Or maybe we'll just do meatless meals.  

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

It's Valentine's weekend so it is probably going to be packed everywhere.  That was nice of the manager.

othermom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:30 PM

That was nice of the manager. We have gotten a free meal before when we complained about horrible service. We didn't ask for it, but they did it

cookin_mama665
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:34 PM

I think the manager was compensating you for the long wait and terrible service.  We went to Apple-bee's on NYE and waited at the door for 8 minutes before someone came to ask how many were in our party.  It was only 7 PM. There were three parties ahead of us that had not been spoken to either.

Long story, short...it took 26 minutes to get an appetizer and 47 minutes to get food, which came out plate by plate.  By that time, I was just ready to go.  I asked for boxes and the check once my kids had finished.  The manager insisted on taking care of the whole bill but I was very reluctant.  We go to this particular Apple-bee's often and I was willing to pay just disappointed with the service. 

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:58 AM

oh wow...well least it was free in the end

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I too felt guilty about the whole meal free. Then the waiter didn't even get a tip.  What had me.  We got there. The waitress seen dh in his electric scooter.  He has MS.  Does not walk the best.  They have a upper level  That is serviced by a wheel chair elevator lift   But the hostess decided to put us in the bar area. At this large booth table.  No one else was seated there.  All the other groups were seating on the upper level.  That waiter had all his other tables there.  So it was easy he forgot about us.   Now there is one Apple Bees we will never eat at again. As everytime we ate at that particular one.  Service was always lousy. But 2 other ones in our area are good. 

Quoting cookin_mama665:

I think the manager was compensating you for the long wait and terrible service.  We went to Apple-bee's on NYE and waited at the door for 8 minutes before someone came to ask how many were in our party.  It was only 7 PM. There were three parties ahead of us that had not been spoken to either.

Long story, short...it took 26 minutes to get an appetizer and 47 minutes to get food, which came out plate by plate.  By that time, I was just ready to go.  I asked for boxes and the check once my kids had finished.  The manager insisted on taking care of the whole bill but I was very reluctant.  We go to this particular Apple-bee's often and I was willing to pay just disappointed with the service. 

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:36 AM
It was probably really busy
Hope the guy didnt lose his job over it. Glad you got a free meal though. That was nice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I'm glad they took care of it for you.  It really irritates me when the service is so bad.  It isn't cheap to go out to eat anymore. 

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Sorry you had such a terrible experience. I am glad your whole meal was free.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:34 PM

It wasn't even that busy.  They had several servers working.  I'd even see our waiter walk by.  Not stop to see how we're doing or anything.  Yeah meals came out almost one at a time. Well 2 meals came. Then we waited. Then the rest came.  My friends dh said he'd never go back there again.  Dh and I will. We feel it was a one time thing that happened.

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

It was probably really busy
Hope the guy didnt lose his job over it. Glad you got a free meal though. That was nice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)