Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Alternative medicine

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:03 PM
  • 4 Replies

Does anyone use alternative medicine to save money?

Or just for health benefits?

I have been reading a lot about it and wondered if anyone has any insight or success stories willing to share.

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ciao_kitty
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I went to a Naturalistic Doctor because I had a recurring infection. My reg doc would prescribe me a round of antibiotics, the infection would go away for about a month and come back. The next time it came around, a heavier, larger dose of antibiotics and she said if the infection would come back, yet another heavier, larger, longer dose of antibiotics. When I asked why I kept getting the infection, she shrugged her shoulder and said, "it was one of those things..." in another words, "I don't know." So, when inevitably the third round of infection came up, I went to a ND (Natrualistic Dr.) she explained to me how the infection would flourish, and we spent 90 minutes going over my health history. Thus far, though the treatment has been unconventional, it has worked! Yay! 

As for cost, she is able to take  PPO insurance, and is billed as an, "out of network" so it reduces cost, but isn't as cheap as one that is, "in network." But imho, I like how the infection is treated as a "whole body" issue rather than just a set of symptoms.

I think that normal doctors are great, I love my son's pediatrician. Antibiotics has it's uses and it's saved untold lives. But I felt my health issue was/is worth using a more holistic approach. Plus, the last round of antibiotic was making me really sick and the thought of pulling out the heavy guns for another longer round wasn't something I could stomach. 

Sorry for the long post, but I hope that helps! 

moogsmom03
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

We had lots of issues with my sons asthma when he was about 2 1/2-3 1/2. He was up to 6 meds per day for allergies and asthma. I was looking for other options just to get him off the many meds because I felt it wasn't good for him. So I took him to a chiropractor and started giving him omega 3's, coconut oil and a natural supplement that was supposed to help with allergies. After about 3 months of this he was down to one prescription per day and we never went back to using the others and this was a year ago. It worked like a charm!

kitchenwitch27
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:53 AM
I use essential oils. I used to use Herbs but then I thought about it. Herbs are the dried, dead, ground up plant, which is helpful. But, essential oils are the life force of the plant, the immune system of the plant. It's more concentrated and only takes a couple of drops. Love them. But, I grew up on alternative medicine.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I don't know if it saves money, I think as for preventative medicine it does, but I've opted to use some supplements in lieu of prescriptions and that costs more.

I definitely do it for the helath benefits.  Some alternative treatmetns such as evening primrose oil for my eczema work better and are safer than using Rx creams.

Turmeric has also helped with my  skin and joint problems. Ginger helps with my tummy and immune system I just make a tea out of thinly sliced root.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN