Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Do you buy food at Ocean State/Big Lots type of places

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM
  • 37 Replies

Hi there,

I love steel cut oats, but it gets pricey to buy them, even in bulk.  I noticed them at the Ocean State Job Lot near my house.  I also noticed other types of foods that I sometimes get at Trader Joes or Whole Foods, as well as a great section of spices.

I shop at these types of places often, but have never really bought food (other than soda or water).  Have you all purchased food from these types places?  What has been your experience?  Good quality?  Safe to eat?

Thanks,

Emelyn

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BostonMomma08
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM
I live in Florida now so I don't have any ocean states down here but back in Boston I always got food products there, especially spices and different kinds of oats/grains. I've never had a problem!

I occasionally will get a food item at big lots but not often, usually I don't even go down those aisles when I'm there, it's the type of place that I go in, get exactly what I need and leave...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyKiki
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:57 AM

We have bought food at Big lots. I buy food at our Dollar Tree also (they have a rocken frozen food section in ours). I haven't had any problems. The food is just as good as the grocery store. :)

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Sure it is safe, it is mostly just stuff that didn't sell we'll at the grocery or the store closed. I've bought food at Big Lots many times.( don't have the other here)

Emelyn_loves_31
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Thanks so much!  I'm going back today to get spices.  They're $1!

LadyKiki
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Big lots is my hubby's favorite place for spices, oils, and dried beans/rice. We haven't found a place to beat the prices.

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes, and I've gotten great deals.  I always check expiration dates though.  The food I bought has always been fine.  Some of it good quality natural and organic stuff too.

Emelyn_loves_31
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Thanks for tip on checking expiration dates!  I forget to do that even in the regular store.

specialwingz
by Corey on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:45 PM
2 moms liked this

I've never heard of Ocean States.  But, we do have Big Lots here in TX.  I don't shop there that often.  We were in one the other day burning some time while waiting for the boys to get out of driving school.  The foods we saw there were not made in USA.  So, I am a bit leary of buying foods at those places.

We also had a story on our news about the items in those stores.  The story focused on toothpaste.  It was warning everyone to be aware of where the toothpaste came from.  There was a huge lot of toothpaste (Crest or Colgate, can't remember which) that had come from Mexico.  Since the toothpaste was overstock from Mexico, it had high doses of fluoride in it, as Mexico does not fluoridate their water like the U.S. does.  This was causing overdoses of fluoride in people, pazrticularly children.

So, it is always smart to check out the items you are going to buy there and take into consideration where they were manufactured and from where they were shipped.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM

They have food at Big Lots??

Momforhealth
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Yes..snacks or cookies.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)