Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Do you buy food at Ocean State/Big Lots type of places

Hi there,

I love steel cut oats, but it gets pricey to buy them, even in bulk.  I noticed them at the Ocean State Job Lot near my house.  I also noticed other types of foods that I sometimes get at Trader Joes or Whole Foods, as well as a great section of spices.

I shop at these types of places often, but have never really bought food (other than soda or water).  Have you all purchased food from these types places?  What has been your experience?  Good quality?  Safe to eat?

Thanks,

Emelyn

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Replies (31-37):
MaskedMomma
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:59 AM

yes and yes

the box might be a lil smashed if anything

Irishmommy860
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I grew up with my mom shopping in those places..they are a bit out of my way, but when I do go there I tend to stock up on stuff..it's usually at least $1 cheaper. Check your labels and dates obviously, but they're pretty good. 

AzariahsMother
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I do shop from time to time at Big Lots and I mainly get my pastas, or box foods.  Every now and then I will grab a snack or 2 because they tend to be cheaper there.  I also like to buy my seasonings there because they are $1.  I always stop there and Dollar Store first before I move on to the bigger chains. 

funkycat
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I buy green tea and sometimes condiments and spices. Occasionally they carry brand names in canned goods.

greenishgirl
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I have at Big Lots- as long as the package says it's not expired it should be fine. Food that ends up there isn't bad, it's just because another store ordered too much or the manufacturer is changing their packaging and want the old design out of regular stores.

pampire
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:27 AM

I shop at Big Lots and Grocery Ouotlet and have never had a problem with quality.

chanizen
by New Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:29 AM
No. I had an infestation of pantry moths after buying oatmeal from there.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)