Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

freezing milk?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:16 PM
  • 23 Replies

Has anyone done it and did it taste fine still?

I have a gallon in a half that i am not going to be able to use fast so i was thinking about freezing it.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
specialwingz
by Corey on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM

It can be frozen.  Many here do it.  I don't care to because the last time I did, it separated a bit.  And, I can't stand that.

Bubbasmomma08
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Do you know if it makes a differences being in a half gallon carton vs the plastic gallon

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I did it frequently.  The best milk to freeze, IMO, is 2%.  Whole milk can separate at times.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Quoting Bubbasmomma08:

Do you know if it makes a differences being in a half gallon carton vs the plastic gallon

IMO it doesn't make a difference, although I prefer to remove 1/2 c. to 3/4 c. of milk from the container before freezing.

Bubbasmomma08
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:30 PM

did you notice a different taste? i dont drink it but my husband and boys do and i dont want to waste the milk cause they wont drink it

Quoting michiganmom116:

I did it frequently.  The best milk to freeze, IMO, is 2%.  Whole milk can separate at times.

specialwingz
by Corey on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM

That's probably why mine separated a bit.  It was whole milk.  =/

Quoting michiganmom116:

ALolies
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

If you don't like it after it separates, freeze in smaller portions and use in recipes.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:44 PM

There wasn't a noticable difference in taste.

Quoting Bubbasmomma08:

did you notice a different taste? i dont drink it but my husband and boys do and i dont want to waste the milk cause they wont drink it

Quoting michiganmom116:

SweetLuci
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:32 AM

It can be frozen, but I only like to use it in cooking. I don't like the taste. Some say they don't mind it.

Emelyn_loves_31
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I've noticed a difference in taste when I freeze it.  I would freeze in 4 oz-8 oz containers and use in cooking.  Or freeze it in an ice-cub tray and use for things like omelettes, cookies, cake, etc. that only require a little bit at a time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)