Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Croutons and breadcrumbs

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:17 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm sure many of you do this anyway but it's a hit in our house this week so I thought I'd share: 

My grandma always made her own breadcrumbs with stale bread.  I used to make my own when I was single because I always had more bread than I could eat by myself.  Since I got married we usually breeze through a loaf with no problem so we have bought breadcrumbs from time to time. 

We also buy those $1 bags of croutons at Kroger.  I mean, they're a dollar, so it's not a big loss, right?  Well I passed the sale bread the other day and they had hamburger buns for 49 cents.  I bought them and made our own croutons.  They probably made 2-3 times as much as the $1 packaged version and they were MUCH better.  More light and crisp and not hard as a rock.  My son won't eat the packaged version anyway so this was great. 

Leave your bread out for a few hours - about an afternoon - to get a little dried out.  I notice this keeps it from crumbling up as much when you cut it.  Melt about 3 tbsp of butter and add whatever seasoning you like.  We used basil, garlic salt, and parmesan cheese.  Pour over cubed bread and toss and bit.  Put on a cookie sheet and bake for about 15 mins.  Toss again, turn them over as much as possible, and put back in the oven for about 10 mins.  Keep an eye on them.  The first batch took longer but the second batch didn't take as long (??)  Store in an airtight container!  We've just been eating them like snacks and my husband even put some in a sandwich yesterday.  I'm not sure they're going to make it to the salads. 

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amanda52007
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I've never made my own, but I think I'm going to try it this week or next. We have a BUNCH of whole wheat hotdog buns leftover from my sons birthday party. You make it sound SO EASY!

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:54 PM
ill try that with discount buns thanks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabearlehman
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't eat crutons but I like making my own bread crumbs. I always freeze the ends of bread and use it for bread crumbs as needed

my4boys2002
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:41 PM
I have ends of my loafs in the freezer to make bread crumbs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bangle
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I also save the ends of my bread to make croutons.  I feel so thrifty when I do. :)

ciao_kitty
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Yay for home made croutons! We save the end slices of bread that's all crust. Once you fry them in butter it tastes delicious!

LadyKiki
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:01 AM

I use to run the salad bar at the grocery store I worked at. We always made our croutons there. I realized how simple it was and started doing it at home also. Though now that I have my son it's a little harder because he wants to use the stale bread for the birds :).

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Great idea!  When we were eating white bread I would save the ends to make breadcrumbs.  I would cut them into cubes and store them in a ziploc bag in the freezer.  That way, nothing was going to waste.

Marz31
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I've made my own croutons before, SO yummy! there's a restaurant nearby that makes their own and while I rarely order a dinner salad because I'm too picky and it's just a waste of money, I do there because the croutons are just SO good! LOL I also make my own breadcrumbs, so much cheaper. what would probably be even cheaper is to make my own bread for my own breadcrumbs! LOL yeah, I don't think about it that much. but th $1 bread is the way to go, yields a TON of either!

kaitybird
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:53 PM

We like making our own croutons.  Nice thing is you can use any kind of bread.  Better yet bread without a lot of chemicals in it!  :)  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN