Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Cost Per Meal

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:54 AM
  • 37 Replies

Do you ever figure out how much you spend per meal?  Do you have a budget that you try to stay within per meal?  I try to stay under $10 for dinners.  If I can get it under $5 I'm extatic!  LOL!

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anniea90
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I have never taken the time to figure out the exact amount, but I know in my head what meals are cheaper and which are more expensive

ALolies
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I try to stay well under $10. It is just hubby and me. I can usually keep it under $5. And have leftovers.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I generally try to stay under $8 per dinner....sometimes in the summer I can easily stay under $5 when our garden is producing well.
JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Quoting michiganmom116:

I generally try to stay under $8 per dinner....sometimes in the summer I can easily stay under $5 when our garden is producing well.

Remind me, do you all eat meat?

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I only figure the cost of a meal when I eat out and then I try to keep it under $10 per meal averaged over three meals a day.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes at every dinner and most lunches (eggs for breakfast), but no grains, legumes, and little dairy.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Remind me, do you all eat meat?

specialwingz
by Corey on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Actually, I do.  DF and I find it fascinating to see just how much we can get out of our dollar when it comes to meals.

Just last night, I grilled chicken, corn on the cob, side salad and homemade artisan sourdough bread.  The chicken was 4 leg and thigh quarters that cost $3.57.  The salad, which consisted of iceberg lettuce, red cabbage, shredded carrots, cucumber, tomatoes and dressing, cost less than $1 total for the 4 of us, because I buy all the veggies whole and cut and shred them myself.  Plus, I make my own salad dressings.  The corn on the cob was 4/$1.  Making the bread myself cost about $1.50 (if that, and that's probably over shooting it).

So, last night's dinner for 4 cost only $7.07 ttl/1.78 ea.  And, we had 1 thigh and 1 leg left over.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:02 PM

That is great!

I don't know that I could make the salad for that little, though.  I think our veggies are a little more expensive here.  Where do you buy yours?  Do you just get them at the grocery store or do you have a cheap produce connection?  What kind of salad dressing did you make?

Quoting specialwingz:

Actually, I do.  DF and I find it fascinating to see just how much we can get out of our dollar when it comes to meals.

Just last night, I grilled chicken, corn on the cob, side salad and homemade artisan sourdough bread.  The chicken was 4 leg and thigh quarters that cost $3.57.  The salad, which consisted of iceberg lettuce, red cabbage, shredded carrots, cucumber, tomatoes and dressing, cost less than $1 total for the 4 of us, because I buy all the veggies whole and cut and shred them myself.  Plus, I make my own salad dressings.  The corn on the cob was 4/$1.  Making the bread myself cost about $1.50 (if that, and that's probably over shooting it).

So, last night's dinner for 4 cost only $7.07 ttl/1.78 ea.  And, we had 1 thigh and 1 leg left over.

momofjnlj
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Occasionally I do. But generally, I do my best to only spend $40 - $60 per week on groceries for the three of us. My husband and eat 3 meals a day minimum and a snack from home, my daughter only eats dinner and a snack on weekdays...so on average it's about $8 - $9 per day, that's about as detailed as I get unless I'm trying out a new meal

specialwingz
by Corey on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:15 PM
2 moms liked this

I buy them at our local grocer, HEB.  I just buy a head of lettuce, a head of red cabbage, 1lb bag of carrots, an English cucumber and Roma tomatoes.  With all of that variety, it takes just a little of each to make a decent salad.  

The head of lettuce will last us 4 nights.  1/4 of the head cuts up into 4 servings perfect for adding the rest.  I keep the cabbage head whole and slice off ribbons each night.  It keeps better that way.  I shred all the carrots up and keep them in a vacuum seal bag that I just reseal when I'm done.  Keeps them nice and crisp.  The English cucmber - they're so long that 1/4 of it makes 6 slices for each salad.  1 nicely sized Roma tomato dices up enough to garnish each.

I make several different kinds of dressings.  Last night's was Catalina.  I have a Kraft Catalina bottle that I saved.  The recipe fills it perfectly.  LOL.  

Kraft Catalina Dressing

1 cup sugar

2 tsp salt

dash paprika

1/2 tsp chili powder

1/2 tsp celery seed

1/2 tsp dry mustard

1/2 cup vinegar

2/3 cup ketchup

1 cup veggie oil

Place all ingredients in blender and blend till completely mixed together.

This fills a 24 ounce dressing bottle perfectly.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

That is great!

I don't know that I could make the salad for that little, though.  I think our veggies are a little more expensive here.  Where do you buy yours?  Do you just get them at the grocery store or do you have a cheap produce connection?  What kind of salad dressing did you make?

Quoting specialwingz:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)