Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

I am now a sahm... so now we have to cut back...

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:57 PM
  • 26 Replies

I get $380  (about) a month from child tax benefit, and universal. (Canadian)

dh brings in $1200-$1500 (depending on how much he worked that month... he has conic back pain... and gets sick a lot)

since having me work is pointless (I didnt make much...) and my mom who was our alternate baby sitter when dh couldn't. flaked on us. so it would be cheaper for us to have me stay home

my share of bills (rent, electricity, cable Internet. cell. and bank fees...) are $332 a month. this is not including transportation, and groceries ... and extras  since dh and I share a bus pass and have and extra one with tickets for emergancies... and he mostly buys the food. I get some when I have the money... 

so we also want to save money I have about 1k saved ( i had 2k but I paid off my student loan.)  how much do you put away every month?

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers    

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luv.My.Kidz
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this

as much as you possibly can. Since you have about $50 left over from your income with your bills paid, I would put that $50 into the savings and not touch it. Rebuild your emergency fund as quickly as possibly.

AllofFive19
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this

You should have enough for 3 months of living expenses saved up. 

alandou
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:16 AM
1 mom liked this

We live paycheck to paycheck and after the bills are paid, we reserve money for gas and groceries. I spend about $50 a week on groceries and put it in maybe $20 for gas a week. So, we really don't have anything in savings which I am trying to find the best ways to save as much money as we can.

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Right now nothing:/ we are working on it. We have had the worst luck in the last year!
Before, I would budget everything out and put the leftover into savings. Not even withdrawl it or consider it extra money...just straight to savings whether it is $25, $50, $150.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM
I would save as much as possible. I try for 10% of whatever money comes in. I recently became a SAHM and have been selling my crafts to bring in some $$. I also use Swagbucks - this I can use to earn cash (through PayPal) or gift cards. Lately I've been using gift cards to buy my crafting supplies. Look at your bills and make a budget. Reduce costs where possible. If you can, consider selling a few things to bring your savings up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama_Dolly
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Im thinking of makig change purses and selling them...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM
We dont have much in savings right now but we will when we get our taxes back. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:22 AM

We put away as much as we can.  I stay at home right now because if I were to work, I would basically just be paying daycare with that check.  I plan to go back part time when LO is in pre-school this fall.

I do all the budgeting and bill paying and DH and I just have one shared bank account.  I try to spend around $50-$75 a week on food, that's with coupons and sales.  We have preapaid cell phones and no house phone because that is the cheapest route for us.  Rent is our biggest expense and there is no getting around that for the short term.

I try to save wherever I can, never paying full retail for anything.  I also love thrift stores.

Melz416
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Ladies-  We need to change that. It does not have to be that way at all. There are lots of WORK from home opportunites. Currently my husband and I have 5 streams of income and we both have 9-5s. Come on- NOW do you want change? Or do just want to come on cafe mom and meet like moms that have to cut back? Dont get me wrong I was once like that too- until someone told me I need to CHANGE my friends or CHANGE my friends I basically changed my association. I began utilizing the languange of a leader and not a loser..If you hang around 5 broke ppl you are number 6.....

Purgatorian
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:53 AM

What work at home do you do?  Are there any warnings you can give? Ones NOT to try?

Quoting Melz416:

Ladies-  We need to change that. It does not have to be that way at all. There are lots of WORK from home opportunites. Currently my husband and I have 5 streams of income and we both have 9-5s. Come on- NOW do you want change? Or do just want to come on cafe mom and meet like moms that have to cut back? Dont get me wrong I was once like that too- until someone told me I need to CHANGE my friends or CHANGE my friends I basically changed my association. I began utilizing the languange of a leader and not a loser..If you hang around 5 broke ppl you are number 6.....

~~~There are two theories for arguing with me. Neither one works.~~~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN