Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

The most frugal celebrities of 2012

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:17 AM
  • 4 Replies
1 mom liked this

If it seems like everyone is trying to save money these days, it might be because it’s true! Coupons.com just released a list of their favorite “Frugalebrities” of 2012, which includes a mix of models, actors, musicians and politicians who continue to honor their frugal beginnings despite having made it big.

Related: The 10 Worst Shoppers of All Time

“Simply put, coupons, discounts, and deals are essentially free money, and no matter what your socioeconomic status, everyone loves a little extra green,” says Coupons.com consumer savings expert Jeanette Pavini. “The allure of saving reaches everyone, and like most of us, many stars love a good bargain.”

Here are Coupons.com’s favorite “Frugalebrities” of 2012:

• ”House of Lies” actress Kristen Bell told Conan O’Brien that she “almost exclusively shops with coupons.” Her favorite? “The best coupon you can get, possibly in the world, is the Bed Bath & Beyond coupon.”

• She might be a multi-platinum musician, but Lady Gaga still loves a good deal. On Twitter, she recently tweeted about her love of bargain shopping, asking “Why do people look at me like I’m crazy when I use coupons at grocery (stores) or try bargaining at retail, I’M FROM NEW YORK WHERE IS THE SALE RACK?”

• This one might surprise you: Jay Leno hasn’t touched “a dime” of his earnings from “The Tonight Show,” and instead lives off his comedian income. ”When I was a kid, I had two jobs. I worked at a Ford dealership and at a McDonald’s,” Leno said in an interview with Parade. ”I’d spend the money from one job and save the money from the other. That’s still the way I am now.”

• ”Twilight” star Ashley Greene is a firm believer in being frugal and saving for the future. In an interview with Marie Claire, she said “I want to know that I don’t have to take an acting job for two or three years if I don’t want to and that I’ll still be able to make my house and buy food for my dogs.”

Related: The Beginner’s Guide to Smart Shopping

• American Idol Season 4 winner Carrie Underwood told Rachael Ray that she still loves shopping with coupons (although she sometimes forgets to bring them with her to the store).

• ”Law & Order: SVU” actress Mariska Hargitay doesn’t take her success for granted. She told More that “I constantly worry about money. I make a lot now but I don’t feel that way because I was poor and had no money for a lot longer than I’ve had… I’m saving money to live on, for the future.”

• NBA star Carmelo Anthony told a Denver news station that he is a devoted couponer, saying “I go to the supermarket, make sure I get the coupons out; save a dollar or two.”

• Model Tyra Banks has always embraced her thrifty side, telling the New York Times that “I am frugal. I’ve always been this way. When I was young, my mom would give me my allowance, and I’d peel off a little each week to have some to spare.”

• Ann Romney told Jay Leno that their family frequently buys in bulk to cut down on costs and that Mitt is “cheap,” saying, “When we leave the house, he turns off the hot water heater.”

• Actress Eva Longoria continues to live modestly despite her success. Growing up, her father took her and her siblings into the wilderness to live off the land, a lesson which taught her not to take fortunes for granted.

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
nmaxwell816
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Very interesting..

Mitt Romney is so cheap that he turns off the hot water heater when he leaves the house?

jessesbride
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:00 PM

That is awesome!!!!

a_and_j_momma
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:08 AM
Awesome!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
chrissysnow22
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:20 AM
That is very refreshing!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)