Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

How I saved almost $70 a month.

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:33 PM
  • 74 Replies
3 moms liked this
Ever since I've been married we've had cable of some sort. We are a bit addicted to it honestly. We've thought of cutting it out before to save money but I just never could do it. At the start of this year I decided to finally try a free trial of Netflix and see if I could go a week without turning on our directv. Within the week I was calling to cancel our cable. I feel like now we don't flip through channels just cause its there.. We find a couple of really good things to watch and then get on with our life.

One thing we were missing though was the weekly shows that we watched. So I then signed up for the Hulu free trial. It has all the shows we watched and within a day or two the brand new episode is there.

I don't think we will go back to cable anytime soon. Now I can't imagine life without Netflix or Hulu. I watch on my phone when my husband is driving when we have travelled.. I visited my grandma and at night I was able to keep up with what I was already watching. It was so much better than just a box connected to one tv.

To break it down though we paid almost $80 for the lowest package that directv offered and we had a bunch of discounts with it. We've had it long enough that there is no 2yr contract or fee or price drop. Thankfully we didn't have to pay for turning it off. Now with Netlif and Hulu it's $7.99/mo for each so about $16 all together. Big price difference!!

I guess I wrote this to help those people like me get over that scary feeling of "how will I go on without cable." It's really not that bad. It's better actually!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sashamom27159
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:37 PM

We gave up cable awhile ago.I can find all the shows i like on hulu and like you said pick one watch it and move on instead of just sitting there flicking through nothing  

ForeverInLove
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Directv dropped my rates for me for bring a good customer, lol. It's on a suspension right now, and I'm using netflix and hulu in it's place too. Well probably cancel it the month after suspension is up. We have one month left on contract.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I couldn't care less about watching TV...it's my husband that won't give up his satellite TV.

Mama_Dolly
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:44 PM
We get an incrediable bundle. We get basic plus two packages... and high speed internet. For 66 $ a month
So unless it goes up we are keeping both. Lol
victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Mine is technically on that suspension too for 6 months. I'm considering calling now and just canceling it though. We are only a month into the suspension.

Quoting ForeverInLove:

Directv dropped my rates for me for bring a good customer, lol. It's on a suspension right now, and I'm using netflix and hulu in it's place too. Well probably cancel it the month after suspension is up. We have one month left on contract.
efarrugia
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:55 PM

this sounds like the solution  looking for,  but what about internet. i have internet with wifi so i can use my laptop and kindle. i have Wii, and used Netflix through that...but i thought the Wii was feeding off the wifi

opal10161973
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:00 PM

We did this over three years ago and it has been the best thing ever.  Now, I don't have to worry about missing a show, since we didn't have a DVR before.  I get emails that tell me when I have shows in my Hulu queue and it is really great to use on our Roku players, too.  I have about three shows that I can't get on Hulu and I pay for them at Amazon, but I am always getting free egift cards for online things like Swagbucks, so I hardly ever actually PAY for it.  Even when I do, I save by using the season subscription service, which charges less and when the episode comes out- which is $1.89/week/show.  I consider that worth it for NCIS, NCIS:LA, and The Walking Dead, of course! 

victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:08 PM
We still pay for our Internet/wifi and stream through our playstation, laptops, and phones.

Quoting efarrugia:

this sounds like the solution  looking for,  but what about internet. i have internet with wifi so i can use my laptop and kindle. i have Wii, and used Netflix through that...but i thought the Wii was feeding off the wifi

victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this
The shows I can't get on Netflix or Hulu I get on the shows website.

Quoting opal10161973:

We did this over three years ago and it has been the best thing ever.  Now, I don't have to worry about missing a show, since we didn't have a DVR before.  I get emails that tell me when I have shows in my Hulu queue and it is really great to use on our Roku players, too.  I have about three shows that I can't get on Hulu and I pay for them at Amazon, but I am always getting free egift cards for online things like Swagbucks, so I hardly ever actually PAY for it.  Even when I do, I save by using the season subscription service, which charges less and when the episode comes out- which is $1.89/week/show.  I consider that worth it for NCIS, NCIS:LA, and The Walking Dead, of course! 

efarrugia
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:17 PM

how do you get just internet? i checked Comcast and Verizon and there were no internet only plans, any suggestions

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)