Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

farms or supermarkets?

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:51 PM
  • 12 Replies
Is it cheaper to shop from farms or supermarkets? If its cheaper at farms how can I find a local one? I've checked online but had no success...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsix
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it depends on where you are and what you are looking for. Here we get our eggs at the farmers market all year if possible as we can get freerange for $2-$3 a dozen,we get local honey for about $12 for 32 oz and fresh fruits and veggies during the summer and fall for about the same. The pluses are that you can sometimes find things that you don't see at the store and most of it was just picked that morning.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I've seen farms just driving around. I'm trying a few local ones this summer.

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Have you tried co-ops in your area?

occumommy
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:51 PM

it really depends on how far you have to drive to get to a farm, and what kinds of selling programs your farms offer, check out farmer's markets in your area as well. then compare prices. where I live when the farmer's market runs, I get better dea. we do have a year round farmer's market but winter prices are much higher because the produce is greenhouse grown. when shopping produce make sure to look for what is in season.

a_and_j_momma
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I shop co-op
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsWhite101610
by Amanda on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:50 AM
I have no idea how to find markets open now. I live in orange county ny if that helps any. I've looked online but had no success.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zoegirlsmom
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Depending on where you live a CSA can be quite a money saver, we participated in both a produce and meat CSA and it worked out cheaper and of course fresher. There is a national CSA site that lists participating farms by state.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Call your local Chamber of Commerce.  They may have some names & numbers of farmers that participate in farmers markets.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I shop at our local farmer's market in the summer.  I don't necessarily find it cheaper, but the quality is so much better.  I guess it is cheaper if comparing to what I would have to pay for similar quality.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)