Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Homemade Dry vs. Wet Laundry Detergent

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:16 PM
  • 23 Replies

Anyone knows which is more cost effective and if one is better (at cleaning) than the other? How long will it last? What is/was your total cost? Can someone tell me why one requires water and the other doesn't? Is it just a matter of preference?

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I've made both.  The liquid soap lasted a LOT longer than the powder.  I also preferred the liquid because the powder didn't always dissolve.

BeachLifeMama
by Dawn on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I've only made the powdered and didn't like it. I'm planning to make the liquid and see the difference.

AllofFive19
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:44 PM

I really didn't care for the liquid, but I love the powdered. I don't know how much difference there is in cost.

Debmomto2girls
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:54 PM
I use powered. One batch last 2 months and averages to 5 cents a load. Its a lot easier to make than liquid and I think it lasts longer
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bumanoi
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:54 AM

I prefer powered.

lrose57
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I have made the "paste" type that is on The White Silk Purse blog....and the only problem I had was because I have a front loader I need to dilute the tablespoon of soap in water so I do not have a clump of soap in the dispenser... Cleaned very well and lasted forever...
JessicaEOH
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:47 AM
I've only made homemade and the last batch left greyish stains all over our clothes...I've been using store bought since!
matreshka
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:13 AM

I have only tried making my own liquid and if you have very sensitive skin I don't recommend it.  I used fels nepatha soap and it made me break out.

lizzieiguana
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this

anyone mind sharing their recipe here? I have ingredients for dry but haven't made bc we're 'finishing up' our old stuff...

xtriciax
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:16 AM

i made powdered from a blog in sept. it cost me about 30-40 dollars and i still ave over half left. i lOVE it anyone who stays over to use it loves it.  dont ever think ill buy store bought again. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)