Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Do you make your kids wear...

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:46 PM
  • 42 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you buy the majority of your kids clothes second hand?

Options:

I buy clothes brand new

I buy/trade second hand clothing

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 69

View Results

Second hand clothing? I do. Well, actually I don't "make" them, but that's what I buy or get from friends normally. My DD9 loves it because she knows that she gets way more clothes this way than she does when I do shop at the store. I'm sure this won't last forever as she gets older she'll want new stuff which is understandable, but getting clothes second hand is a HUGE money saver for my family! I think I spend about $100/year if that, on two kids buy going to the big church rummage sales twice a year and getting what they need. Plus I usually buy new boots, coats, snow pants, in Feb when they're super discounted at the stores. So those are almost always new, but I never pay a lot for them. What do you do to save money on kids clothing?

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Its hard for me to find used clothes for ds. In the summer in always hitting up garage/yard sales and they rarely have his size. Same with goodwill. I go in the every couple weeks looking for clothes for him and dh. Dh is hard on pants. Lol. When I get a chance I go into once upon a child and big wheels to butterflies, but they're both 1hr+ from us, so I don't get there often. I usujally just buy the garanimals brand at walmart. I used to do thredup, but it started seriously sucking when they went from sending boxes pre stuffed to consignment only. I saw a garanimals sweatshirt listed for like $8 used, and you get them new for $4 at walmart. Its a total rip off, I don't know why people do it anymore. As for coats, boots, shoes, etc, I wait for sales at walmart and gordmans.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:54 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't usually find used clothes for my kids. I buy mine on clearance and use store coupons. Now my younger kids get clothes from older siblings.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Timon6903
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:45 AM
My kids almost never get brand new clothing, the only time they do is if it is marked down then it has to be 70% off the discountrd price for me to buy it at the store. I shop the thrift store but only occasionally and only on half off days (for myself too). I get clothes from my friends for my kids, from playgroup and I yard sale a bit in the summer. Since my girls are twins I keep containers of the next few sizes up so I won't be unprepared when they hit a growth spurt! I don't pay more than .50 for a piece of clothing at a yard sale, unless it's good snow gear. My girls are only 3, so at this point they don't care and I aim to keep it that way.
mrstheriault
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:47 AM
my son is only 7 months, but the only clothing i actually bought new for him was his coming home onesie. everything else has been given to us or bought at a thrift store. with how quickly children outgrow things and how they can damage clothes, i see no reason to spend a fortune on new things.
Mommy4-27-08
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids get both new and used. My mom buys a lot of their clothes and for birthdays my kids get a ton of clothes from family so those are all new. For Christmas the grandparents get them their winter jackets for the next year. And then I also shop a lot of consignment for certain things as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this

mostly baby clothes because a lot of my friends had given birth before I did.  My youngest does get most of her older sister's clothes and shoes.  I also try and salvage stained clothes by covering the stain with a decor depending on its placement or cutting the fabric and making something else out of it.

godsgirl26
Happy thanksgiving :)
Yesterday at 10:44 AM
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:58 AM
I buy brand new clothes for my kids all the time. I just went to the goodwill the other day and oh my gah they have some cute stuff.
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:14 AM
I'll look for clearance deals, off season clothes for the following year and thrift stores. I only buy the nice ones, but refuse to pay full price.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:52 AM

My kids are older (15, 14, and 12).  They get a mix of used and new clothing.  The guys don't seem to care too much about style, but they do need some decent clothes and it's hard to find clothes for kids their age at a garage sale or thrift store.  My DD loves to dress in stylish clothes but there's no way I can afford some things, so we have some fun shopping at thrift stores and then I'll supplement with new jeans and a shirt or two off the clearance racks.

Of course, I don't ask them to wear second-hand underwear or socks.  I have no problem buying those new.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:47 AM

We go back to school shopping to pick up some special pieces and then I fill in the rest of the wardrobe with used.  Yard sales, thrift stores...and I'm super handy with a needle and thread...so it doesn't even have to fit. Lol. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN