Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Non-Meat Sources Of Protein?

As the price of meat continues to go up, I'm sure some frugalistas will start cutting back a bit on our families' meat consumption.  What are some of your non-meat sources of protein?  Any recipes to share?

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Replies (11-18):
choaspartyof4
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Quoting michiganmom116:

I won't cut back.

We won't be cutting back either. My hubby is a big meat eater, he could do steak and potato for every dinner lol
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Quoting choaspartyof4:

Quoting michiganmom116:

I won't cut back.

We won't be cutting back either. My hubby is a big meat eater, he could do steak and potato for every dinner lol

I won't do it for health reasons.  The alternate sources of protein except for eggs all contain significant carbs, which are really bad for my diabetes.  We tried vegetarian for a while and my blood work went wildly out of control...so, we stick with meat.

chicken13
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I just use less meat in recipes.  If it calls for a lb, I use 3/4.  Then I make up the difference with veggies.

matreshka
by Valerie on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Meat is pretty much the middle man for protien. It isn't necessary. The animals we eat are largely vegetarian. Quinoa tofu beans and lentils are all superior sources of protein.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
chrissysnow22
by Chrissy on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:24 AM
I had spaghetti with tvp for dinner tonight.
a_and_j_momma
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:30 AM
I am stocked for the year :-)
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:21 AM

We have black bean quesadillas regularly.  It's not so much because of meat prices, but because they are just so tasty.  Also, the recipe makes 10 very filling servings.

SissyMacK
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:47 AM
1 mom liked this

While I could live almost extensively with out meat, Superman cannot.  I make our grocery budget go further by making soups and casserole that are heavy in veg and grain while utilizing meat as a flavoring agent. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)