Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it worth it?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:04 AM
  • 43 Replies

I'm on a mission to cut back my monthly spending, like almost every one is lol. But I really want to learn to make my own breads, pie crust, cakes, pretty much if I can make it from scratch, I want to make it. With that being said, I really want to invest in a stand mixer. It would come in handy when it came to kneading bread and mixing batter. I found one I REALLY want on walmart.com, but it is about $130. And it's not even a kitchen aide! Do you think it's worth it? I don't want to buy one second hand, because you never know if there is someone wrong with it and there's no way to return it if there is. And they have cheaper ones online, but I don't know how well they will work, and most are plastic. Has anyone out there invested in a stand mixer and thought it was a good investment?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherandree
by Inga on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a stand mixer (mine is a KitchenAide) and have had it for about 15 years.  I use it about every other day!  I bought an attachment for it that shreds cheeses and such, so that is just another reason.  My grandmother has had her KitchenAide mixer for over 50 years!  So, I would say they are a VERY good investment!

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:08 AM
3 moms liked this

To be honest, I would buy a refurbished Kitchen Aid before an off brand.  It's a proven high-quality brand.  I don't think you'll find one used, like in a thrift store.  But you should check their site for a refurbished one.

matreshka
by Valerie on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:33 AM
A stand mixer is an appliance that should last for a long time in your kitchen. I would read reviews on the brand you want to buy first.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I've had several stand mixers, and the only one that lasted past 3 years is my Kitchen Aid (it's now over 12 years old).  It's worth the extra $$, IMO.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:38 AM

...and I used to make all of our bread products and make several things to bake and sell along with decorated cakes.  That KA mixer has seen a LOT of use.

liveforever
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

If you really want one and plan on using it a lot I would spend the extra money and invest in a Kitchen Aid. They are really good quality and last forever. I love mine.

catrig
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:51 AM

For bread I tend to wait until the really healthy wheat bread gets marked down.  I'll buy a ton and freeze it.  We have a stand mixer, and I love it.  I don't know if We would have purchased one if it hadn't been a gift.

chicken13
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Kitchen aid is the way to go. Even if you have an issue...there are repair shops that can fix it.  It's a worthy investment.

specialwingz
by Corey on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Kitchen Aid beats them all in quality.  If you are serious about making everything from scratch, it is worth the investment.  You get what you pay for when it comes to a stand mixer that is going to be used regularly.

Kitchen Aid also has more attachments than any other brand.  The attachments I have for mine:  Fruit & veggie juicer, slicer/shredder, meat grinder, sausage stuffer, pasta maker, blending paddle, kneading hook & whisk.

I love making my own ground meat.  No pink slime, no added fat, YUM!  Homemade fruit and veggie juices with no high fructose corn syrup!

Yeah, it's worth it's weight in gold.  Consider it a tool of your "trade".

oddfox
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:53 AM

My mom gave me a Kitchenaid years ago. It has been worth it, though I don't know if they're made the same now. Hers was much quieter than mine and mine is about 20 years old. Every once and a while you'll see one for sale in our local newspapers. Either someone got it as a wedding present or they don't use it, and even though they're all but new they are much cheaper. The one you mentioned might be a good deal but I'd look for product reviews online before making that kind of investment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)