Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spring Break Savings Challenge Day 2: Travel at Off-Peak Times

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:00 AM
  • 102 Replies

Welcome to Day 2 of the Spring Break Savings Challenge!

Did you know when you go is as important as where you go? By planning your trip during off-peak times, you can go where you want for less. For example, if you're flying, Monday through Thursday mornings are generally the cheapest fares and have less crowded flights. This can also save you time since morning flights are more likely to arrive at your destination on time, which can make it easier to make your connecting flights, too.

Have you ever traveled during the week?
What's your favorite day and time to fly?
Do you have any tricks to make flying cheaper or easier?

One member who signs up for our Spring Break Savings Challenge and replies to all 7 daily posts will win a $25 gift card!

Click here to sign up & join in the other daily activities:

Join Our Spring Break Savings Challenge! WIN a $25 Gift Card & Bonus Prizes, Too!!

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IrishMama88
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I have travelled during the week if I can decide the timeframe for my trip...not always possible if there's an itinerary to follow or if it's a business trip.  I do try to buy any tickets on Tuesday afternoons since I've heard that that's when you find the cheapest fares.  Whenever possile I will travel during the low or shoulder seasons (took a trip to England in 2008 in May).

However, I don't fly that much at all.  I think the last time I boarded a plane was in 2010 when DH and I took a December trip to Vegas (cheaper as well because it wasn't yet the holiday weeks and prices were lower). 

I have been a big fan of staycations or driveable trips in recent years.  This is now especially true with a 9-month old.

acrogodess
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:35 AM
This I definitely know since I am the one who usually orders tickets for my cousins when they come visit from Florida. Just because our aunt is paying for the tickets, that doesn't make me any less frugal LOL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmc0351wife

I have heard that airlines lower their prices on Tuesdays. I don't fly very much but I do know hotels are cheaper on the weekdays and then raise their prices for the weekend. Same with rental cars. 

Momoftwinkies
1 mom liked this
I live traveling during the week. We never fly because I freak out in a car and can't imagine getting on a plane.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:39 AM

We always travel at off peak times- trying to avoid crowds, plus usually lower prices. A disadvantage is that often restaurants and exhibits are closed and sometimes tours and services.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:40 AM

We've traveled mid-week. 

ashybaby87
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I've driven somewhere during the week, flights are usually on a weekend or at the end of the week. I prefer to leave out in the morning and return home in the evening. And I just research around through various sites for the best options available.

ksueditz
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:41 AM
I've never flown. My son flew for the first time, last summer. He left during the week, and returned6 weeks later, on a weekday.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KateyBrands
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I haven't flown in years! But when I did, I always took morning flights. I liked being there early, instead of waiting all day. I don't really have any tricks to flying cheaper, I would much rather drive. Yes it might take longer (depending on where your going) but I can relax and stop and see sights if I want. I love me a good road trip! Even if its just two hours away :)

CafeMom Tickers
oddfox
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Prefer Tuesday departure and Monday return. Favorite tip, hit the consolidators (ie Travelocity, Expedia, etc.) when the new limited seating specials first come up in early morning.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)