Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

school pictures

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:35 PM
  • 46 Replies
do you pay for school pictures? I have in the past but they are so expensive. I've never been able to do professional pics either for the family. I see all these wonderful.pics people.get done for different life events and wonder if Im missing out. Will i regret later that I didn't get pregnancy pics done or first birthday pics etc. OR have fall and spring school pics.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:46 PM

No I don't. I take my boys to Target to take their birthday pictures. I use the coupon for the $7.99 package which includes an 8x10, two 5x7 and some wallets. I do buy the (usually cheapest) package for their sports which comes with the wallet size pictures that look like cards.

specialwingz
by Corey on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:57 PM

We did milestone pics and bought school pics for all 4 kids throughout their school years.  I have never regretted it.  It's nice to be able to send pics to family as the years go by.  It's great to look back on and see how fast they change.  When the years are gone, they're gone.  Pics are keepsakes that can be passed from generation to generation.

I even have my daddy's baby and school pictures. I am now the keeper of all the family photos and family tree history.

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Well in the digital world with social media is taking our own pics and sharing them for free just as good? I took a ton of pics for Jacob's birth and first year and birthday party and shared them on fb. I just can't afford it all. Will i regret not being able to do milestone pics?

Quoting specialwingz:

We did milestone pics and bought school pics for all 4 kids throughout their school years.  I have never regretted it.  It's nice to be able to send pics to family as the years go by.  It's great to look back on and see how fast they change.  When the years are gone, they're gone.  Pics are keepsakes that can be passed from generation to generation.

I even have my daddy's baby and school pictures. I am now the keeper of all the family photos and family tree history.

specialwingz
by Corey on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I can't say how you will feel years down the line.  I just know I'm glad I did it.  I don't do FB.  Just don't want my family life spread out on the internet.  Regardless of "privacy settings", it's there for the taking by anyone.  Guess I know too many computer geeks.

But, taking your own digitals during milestone events can serve you just as well.  Take the kids to a nice park or conservatory and take nice pictures at key points in their lives.  You can even have a friend go and take pics of your whole family.  The digital age has made it easier for us to do it ourselves, for sure.

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

Well in the digital world with social media is taking our own pics and sharing them for free just as good? I took a ton of pics for Jacob's birth and first year and birthday party and shared them on fb. I just can't afford it all. Will i regret not being able to do milestone pics?

Quoting specialwingz:

AzariahsMother
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Sometimes.  Just depends

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Yeah i understand the issues people have with fb. I am selective of what i post. But i guess even if i don't do fb I can always email family the pics or even text when i want to share. We have done family pics at Easter and Christmas and even at my kids baptisms and first communion. So I guess its just as good as professional pics

Quoting specialwingz:

I can't say how you will feel years down the line.  I just know I'm glad I did it.  I don't do FB.  Just don't want my family life spread out on the internet.  Regardless of "privacy settings", it's there for the taking by anyone.  Guess I know too many computer geeks.

But, taking your own digitals during milestone events can serve you just as well.  Take the kids to a nice park or conservatory and take nice pictures at key points in their lives.  You can even have a friend go and take pics of your whole family.  The digital age has made it easier for us to do it ourselves, for sure.

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

Quoting specialwingz:

mamabearlehman
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Yep. I buy school pics and try to get pics done at JCPenney at least every 2 years

mckinneymom918
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:52 PM
I always get the fall school pics, for a school years frame/mat I have for all the kids, but just the cheapest they have.

We do "professional" shoots each year. I found a lady close by that does it on the side, charges $125 for 2 hours. She gives us a disc, I order off shutterfly what everyone wants for less than $50, including a big print for myself. I've never regretted spending that money.

Then for day-to-day: birthdays, first days of school, ball games, etc- I got (just this year) a dslr.

I think memories are in your heart as much as in pictures.
pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:03 PM

What we did.  I'd buy like the 8x10 picture. Dh would put it in the computer. I have a ton of Kodak photo paper I got for free.  We'd print out more pictures to pass out to family.  they looked as good as the one we bought.

specialwingz
by Corey on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:08 PM

As long as you have something to remember those events by and to pass on to your children and grandchildren, it will be just fine.  =)

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

Yeah i understand the issues people have with fb. I am selective of what i post. But i guess even if i don't do fb I can always email family the pics or even text when i want to share. We have done family pics at Easter and Christmas and even at my kids baptisms and first communion. So I guess its just as good as professional pics

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

Quoting specialwingz:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)