Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

ladies need your help on how to eat healthy on the cheap

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:06 AM
  • 25 Replies

i need foods that are healthy on the cheap please. Ideas, recipes especially things with low or no sugar and low or no sodium. seems it is so hard to eat cheap and healthy or is it just me? Thanks so much!

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chicken13
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:31 AM

There's no magic.  Eat more fresh fruit and vegetables.  

If you can grow them yourself, clearly that's the cheapest, but look into CSAs, food co-ops, even the reduced section at the grocer.  

All that pre packaged crap just looks cheaper.  But it does not keep you filled and fueled the way healthy food does.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:35 AM

Salads with plenty of veggies and homemade dressings.  Homemade soups.  Eggs.  Buy bone-in chicken breast and cut it off the bone yourself...saves $1 a pound on average.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Plan your meals.  Cook from scratch.  Shop the perimeter of the store and stay out of the middle aisles unless you have to have an ingredient.

chanizen
by New Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Fresh and frozen veggies. Dried beans. Buy veggies whole and cut them yourself as opposed to bagged salad. Make your own bread. Oatmeal. Buy meat bundles from a butcher who will package them for what you need. In my area it actually is cheaper and the meat is better. Use small amounts of meat to higher amounts of veggies and eat whole grains.

Make it yourself and freeze it. Far cheaper than fast food. But you have to use it. Make your own beef and bean burritos and freeze. Buy large yogurt containers and add sweetener and fresh or frozen fruit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I spend a lot less money buying a vegetarian than I do a meat diet.  Dried beans brown rice and frozen veggies can make so many different meals and its dirt cheap and extremely healthy.

Tofu can be baked, fried, sauteed, crumbled and whipped and will take on any flavor you marinade it in. I get it for $1.30/lb

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:50 AM
2 moms liked this

It really isn't more expensive if you stop buying the processed stuff.  It's when you try to buy both that it becomes expensive.  I do find that the "healthy" convenience foods are a lot more expensive.  Fresh fruits like apples, bananas, and oranges are every bit as convenient as packaged foods, but they are a lot cheaper if you know where to buy them.

Dabberdoo
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:32 AM
2 moms liked this

I am reading a book that is a huge help to me right now.  Its called The Eden Diet.  You eat only when you feel a hunger pang and you eat only enough food to get rid of the pang.  If you want a piece of cake, no problem.  You wait until you feel a hunger pang then you eat only enough cake to make that go away.  I've been trying to do this since the first of March and its shocking how much I've been over eating.  I promise, it will be cheaper to feed yourself if you are eating less.  I recommend reading the book.  I got it free for my Kindle.  One big thing I've learned about myself is that I eat when I'm bored.  I don't know how many times I've thought "I'm hungry.  I should eat" only to stop myself and think "am I REALLY feeling a hunger pang".  And I'm not.  So I just find something else to do to take my mind off food until I actually feel a hunger pang.

matreshka
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I am making a lentil soup right now that is about 75 cents a serving and it keeps well frozen.  Its got, fiber, protein and veggies all in a great tasty soup.

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I agree with this

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

It really isn't more expensive if you stop buying the processed stuff.  It's when you try to buy both that it becomes expensive.  I do find that the "healthy" convenience foods are a lot more expensive.  Fresh fruits like apples, bananas, and oranges are every bit as convenient as packaged foods, but they are a lot cheaper if you know where to buy them.

Mama_Dolly
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Shop on the outside of the store only. Buy whats on sale. Coupons when possible. Buy produce in season.... ground meat in bulk are generally cheaper. Whole chickens are a great sale item for mulituple meals.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)