Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever gotten angry over a coupon?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM
  • 37 Replies

Coupon Crazy Woman Pulls a Gun When Store Won't Give Her a Dollar Off

by Kiri Blakeley 

Talk about penny wise and pound foolish. A woman was arrested in Florida after pulling a gun on workers in a Walmart -- because they wouldn't honor her one-dollar coupon. I know extreme couponers get nutty, but this is ridiculous. It reportedly all started when 61-year-old Walmart shopper Mary Frances Alday tried to use the one-dollar off coupon that she'd downloaded online. As anyone who has ever shopped knows, these store coupons can be a hair-pullingly frustrating endeavor. But Alday didn't pull her hair -- she reportedly pulled a gun.

When Alday was told by the store manager that the coupon wasn't good in stores and only online (which I'm sure was stated clearly in the microscopic print buried somewhere within pages and pages of microscopic print), Alday reportedly went ballistic. She became verbally abusive with the manager, calling her the B word. Then she reportedly rammed her with a shopping cart. But that's not all, folks! She was just getting started.

The manager then tried to walk Alday outside to get her license plate number. Alday reportedly responded, "I have something for you in my car." Three colleagues joined the manager, and they all reportedly watched Alday as she got that "something" -- a gun. She then allegedly began waving it while yelling, "I have something for y'all," while everyone fled for their lives.

Alday was later arrested, but only after cops used a stun gun on her -- because you know she wasn't gonna go quietly. She was eventually charged with four counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and a host of other charges that are likely to send Alday away for quite awhile.

All for a buck?! Look, I know how frustrating it is when an ad seems to promise something, and you get in your car, use up your precious gas and time, and then, lo and behold, it was all a ruse to get you in the store. But this is a dollar we're talking about. Alday will now likely have a criminal record, spend some time in the clink, and pay out much more than a buck in bail and lawyers' fees, and lost income, provided she has a job. Was a dollar worth all that?

And couldn't the Walmart employees have just honored the coupon when they saw how upset this elderly woman was getting? Can't we all just get along?!

Have you ever gotten angry over a coupon?

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM
3 moms liked this

Guess she didn't stop to think that there are no coupons for BAIL.

Nope.  Never gotten angry over a coupon.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I've been angry over a store changing their coupon policy without notice...like right at the register while I'm checking out....but I'm not crazy. 

However, coupons DO have rules, even in the fine print, and she didn't obey them.  FRAUD.

angevil53
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Not THAT angry but maybe now they'll just take them. I think sometimes those cashiers like to act high and mighty about taking coupons.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by Lynsey on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Ummm it's a coupon so no.  I dont think it's that serious. 

AzariahsMother
by Lynsey on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:38 AM

rolling on floor  Well to be even more funny there really are places that offer bail coupons.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Seriously?!  I don't even know what to think about that.

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting AzariahsMother:

rolling on floor  Well to be even more funny there really are places that offer bail coupons.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

occumommy
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:41 AM
No, life is too precious to stress like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:47 AM
I've never gotten angry about a coupon but I've had to deal with people who were angry about their coupons.

We had 24 packs of Pepsi on sale 2 for $11. The lady had 3 coupons that she cut out of another stores ad (they were manufacturer coupons so store didn't matter). The coupons were good for $2 off 2 24 packs. She yelled at the cashier and then stormed off to Walmart to do a price match. someone later said you should have just done it for her, but the coupon clearly stated it was for 2 items. She was the only person I've every really seen have an issue with a coupon not working.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Melissa823
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh my goodness. Hahahah! Yes, I almost went nuts! It was for $3 of Miralax (go figure, haha) for my daughter and it wouldn't scan, so she wouldn't give it to me.  I've used that coupon a million times. So, I was so angry I went to customer service...well the cashier RAN OVER TO BEAT ME THERE and started whispering in the ear of the woman at customer service. 

I was fuming.

After the woman in customer service explained that if the coupon won't scan, they can't give it to me, she tried herself, it worked FINE and she handed me $3 cash. 

I'm still bitter about that! Ha ha ha.

AzariahsMother
by Lynsey on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Yep, only know because I use to work for a place that did. 

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Seriously?!  I don't even know what to think about that.

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting AzariahsMother:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)