Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Have you ever gotten angry over a coupon?

Posted by   + Show Post

Coupon Crazy Woman Pulls a Gun When Store Won't Give Her a Dollar Off

by Kiri Blakeley 

Talk about penny wise and pound foolish. A woman was arrested in Florida after pulling a gun on workers in a Walmart -- because they wouldn't honor her one-dollar coupon. I know extreme couponers get nutty, but this is ridiculous. It reportedly all started when 61-year-old Walmart shopper Mary Frances Alday tried to use the one-dollar off coupon that she'd downloaded online. As anyone who has ever shopped knows, these store coupons can be a hair-pullingly frustrating endeavor. But Alday didn't pull her hair -- she reportedly pulled a gun.

When Alday was told by the store manager that the coupon wasn't good in stores and only online (which I'm sure was stated clearly in the microscopic print buried somewhere within pages and pages of microscopic print), Alday reportedly went ballistic. She became verbally abusive with the manager, calling her the B word. Then she reportedly rammed her with a shopping cart. But that's not all, folks! She was just getting started.

The manager then tried to walk Alday outside to get her license plate number. Alday reportedly responded, "I have something for you in my car." Three colleagues joined the manager, and they all reportedly watched Alday as she got that "something" -- a gun. She then allegedly began waving it while yelling, "I have something for y'all," while everyone fled for their lives.

Alday was later arrested, but only after cops used a stun gun on her -- because you know she wasn't gonna go quietly. She was eventually charged with four counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and a host of other charges that are likely to send Alday away for quite awhile.

All for a buck?! Look, I know how frustrating it is when an ad seems to promise something, and you get in your car, use up your precious gas and time, and then, lo and behold, it was all a ruse to get you in the store. But this is a dollar we're talking about. Alday will now likely have a criminal record, spend some time in the clink, and pay out much more than a buck in bail and lawyers' fees, and lost income, provided she has a job. Was a dollar worth all that?

And couldn't the Walmart employees have just honored the coupon when they saw how upset this elderly woman was getting? Can't we all just get along?!

Have you ever gotten angry over a coupon?

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Replies (21-30):
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Not angry, but annoyed.  There was one time I got a printed coupon for Coffee-Mate, and I went to Winco to get buy it.  Well, I didn't know their coupon policy disallowed printed coupons.  I wasn't so much annoyed at the store as I was at the idiots who forge printed coupons, necessitating such policies.  Even so, I was upset enough that I did not go back to Winco for years.

Fortunately, that's the only negative coupon encounter I remember having.  I had a great one the other day.  I had 2 coupons for a free 2-liter of Pepsi Next (no purchase necessary), and I went to Ralphs to redeem them.  After scanning the two bottles of soda, the cashier tried to scan the first coupon, but it wouldn't come up in their system.  She tried again, and still nothing.  She tried the other coupon, again twice.  Finally, she manually entered the bar code number on each coupon multiple times.  They still wouldn't ring up.  She seemed to be determined to get these coupons to be accepted.  So, she went to her manager, who verified the security features on the coupons and gave her an override code to enter, and I was able to get the soda.  I felt bad, in a way, because there were other people in line behind me, but I really appreciated that this cashier was willing to put in so much effort to get the coupons accepted.

bri2011
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:11 AM
No, ive never gotten upset about a coupon. Doesnt seem worth getting stressed out about
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HuggaBug1991
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:30 AM

On occasion, like when I have a coupon for formula and the cashier says that she can't ring it up because she doesn't know how to. I just really want to slap her.....she rang up all the formula, its the same d*mn thing!!! (oh and this is the lady who rang up the guys coupons for a candy bar that was in front of me!)  Seriously you think I didn't see you do that? and now your saying that you don't know how?!!!!

But I would never pull a gun on someone like/for that.

SallyMJ
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:29 PM

That's called attempted armed robbery.

Throw the book at her and slam that prison door.

What a maroon!  - as Bugs Bunny would say. 

Mrs.Subway
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Coupon Hog!

HippiePotPie279
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

nana?

specialwingz
by Corey on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Can't say angry per se.  A bit insistent would be more like it.  A cashier at my grocery store told me they didn't accept internet coupons.  Even when I told her they were emailed to me by the very store we were standing in!  Ended up calling the manager, who had to let her know she was wrong.  OOPS (!) on her behalf!  LOL.

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Oh no! Not the "B word."

slightlyperfect

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:57 PM

It depends on the store policy, you know? A lot of the places I go to make it clear at the register whether they take printed coupons. I know Walmart sure does take 'em.

Quoting specialwingz:

Can't say angry per se.  A bit insistent would be more like it.  A cashier at my grocery store told me they didn't accept internet coupons.  Even when I told her they were emailed to me by the very store we were standing in!  Ended up calling the manager, who had to let her know she was wrong.  OOPS (!) on her behalf!  LOL.

slightlyperfect

specialwingz
by Corey on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:33 PM

My grocery store does too.  She was just new and very sure they didn't.  But, I know the manager well.  So, he came over to fill her in on the rules.

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

It depends on the store policy, you know? A lot of the places I go to make it clear at the register whether they take printed coupons. I know Walmart sure does take 'em.

Quoting specialwingz:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN