Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Have you ever gotten angry over a coupon?

Posted by   + Show Post

Coupon Crazy Woman Pulls a Gun When Store Won't Give Her a Dollar Off

by Kiri Blakeley 

Talk about penny wise and pound foolish. A woman was arrested in Florida after pulling a gun on workers in a Walmart -- because they wouldn't honor her one-dollar coupon. I know extreme couponers get nutty, but this is ridiculous. It reportedly all started when 61-year-old Walmart shopper Mary Frances Alday tried to use the one-dollar off coupon that she'd downloaded online. As anyone who has ever shopped knows, these store coupons can be a hair-pullingly frustrating endeavor. But Alday didn't pull her hair -- she reportedly pulled a gun.

When Alday was told by the store manager that the coupon wasn't good in stores and only online (which I'm sure was stated clearly in the microscopic print buried somewhere within pages and pages of microscopic print), Alday reportedly went ballistic. She became verbally abusive with the manager, calling her the B word. Then she reportedly rammed her with a shopping cart. But that's not all, folks! She was just getting started.

The manager then tried to walk Alday outside to get her license plate number. Alday reportedly responded, "I have something for you in my car." Three colleagues joined the manager, and they all reportedly watched Alday as she got that "something" -- a gun. She then allegedly began waving it while yelling, "I have something for y'all," while everyone fled for their lives.

Alday was later arrested, but only after cops used a stun gun on her -- because you know she wasn't gonna go quietly. She was eventually charged with four counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and a host of other charges that are likely to send Alday away for quite awhile.

All for a buck?! Look, I know how frustrating it is when an ad seems to promise something, and you get in your car, use up your precious gas and time, and then, lo and behold, it was all a ruse to get you in the store. But this is a dollar we're talking about. Alday will now likely have a criminal record, spend some time in the clink, and pay out much more than a buck in bail and lawyers' fees, and lost income, provided she has a job. Was a dollar worth all that?

And couldn't the Walmart employees have just honored the coupon when they saw how upset this elderly woman was getting? Can't we all just get along?!

Have you ever gotten angry over a coupon?

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Replies (31-37):
sucker4myloves
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I've been mildly annoyed when I can't use a coupon, but that takes the cake.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!
REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

LilySlim Diet days tickers

a_and_j_momma
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Oh wow. Not at all
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
laurag8707
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Ive been angry over a cashier not having the correct coupon knowledge but never mad to such extremes

AllofFive19
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Uh, no. There's no reason to become angry. If you're that angry *gun angry*, maybe you need a Xanax or something.

smalltownmom03
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:43 AM
I have twice. Once was at walmart. I had a coupon for razers that allowed me to make a few $ on each package. The cashier said that she couldnt do it because the $ amount on the coupon was more than the razers cost. I had her call a manager and they told me the same thing. So I went to the car and got their policy and showed them where it said that I could do it. They wanted to know where I got a copy of thier policy and appologized and let me use my coupon. The next time was at Family Dollar. I had a coupon for $3 ov febreze warmers. They were $3 at family dollar which made them free. The cashier (was also the store manager) scanned the wrong barcode on the coupon and told me that he couldnt take it because it wouldnt scan. I told him how to hand key it (I had just quit working at family dollar in a different town a couple months before). Then he told me that he couldnt take a coupon for a free item (which their policy does state). I told him that it wasnt a coupon for a free item it was a coupon for $3 off. In the same trip with other items he informed me that I could only use one like coupon because the coupons said one per purchase. So as soon as I got home I emailed the corporate office and asked them to clarrify the policy and told them why. Before the end of the day the manager was calling to appologize and asked me to come back and get use my coupons. When I went back in he saw me and started wispering to the girl that was working with him. He dissapeared to the office before I got back to the front of the store.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow Um no. My freedom is worth way more than $1. Lol. She's got issues
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Wow! Mad enough to contact Corporate, even mad enough to never return to their store. Albertsons years ago refused to take the man coupon with the store coupon, even though I had the store policy. Sure that was frustrating, but the manager calling me a thief was the final straw for using both- still only a call to corporate and bad review every place I could write one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)