Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Tips on purchasing airline tickets

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM
  • 13 Replies
We're going on vacation in June. We're a little tight on money but this is a MUST trip. We're departing from Chicago and going to Deep South Texas. (Harlingen to be exact). So far Southwest Airlines have the best prices. How long should i wait before i buy them? Right now theyre 440 round trip per person. Lowest ive seen so far for any airline and any surrounding airports.

ETA: thanks everyone! I just realized these are the sale price of the tickets lol. So I'm just going to go ahead and purchase them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meg0620
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Bump
alaskadreams
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I hear that when buying tickets and whatnot that your cookies let the site know you are interested in buying-so it ends up keeping one price.  SO clear your cookies and look again.  Also I hear that you want to buy at 1 am on .....Tues or Wed- cheapest then.  Otherwise, I wouldn't wait long

boshs1andonly
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this
How flexible are you on travel dates? Going on a different day may save you some money. Have you checked out sites like kayak to do comparisons (of different airlines and travel dates)
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Don't wait too long. Shop around to different sites. Sign up for Travelzoo. They have amazing deals. Also, try to fly on Tuesdays, if possible. Its the cheapest day of the week.

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I never thought of that and wondered why the prices would go up everytime I searched.

Quoting alaskadreams:

I hear that when buying tickets and whatnot that your cookies let the site know you are interested in buying-so it ends up keeping one price.  SO clear your cookies and look again.  Also I hear that you want to buy at 1 am on .....Tues or Wed- cheapest then.  Otherwise, I wouldn't wait long

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I've been searching for airfare from JFK out to Flagstaff and even SLC, and I think 440 might be a good price, as long as you searched off peak rates already.

lemonade1
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I visit my son every summer in California ever since he moved to USA five years ago and I start looking for tickets at Xmas.  Unfortunately for the first year ever we won't make it this year as I have to fit a new central heating system and that's taking all my savings and some         crying mini

ciao_kitty
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I've used cheapoair.com a few times, and they have the lowest prices. 

AzariahsMother
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I don't think there really are tips.  Prices are what they are.  I mean book a head helps to save, and sometimes doing a stop will save, but.......

Those are hit and misses.  Hotwire allows you to name your price, but I have never done it because I am always worried about that site.  I always book through Orbitz.

specialwingz
by Corey on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Having spent 10 years in the airline industry with a major airline, I can tell you that you will pay less if you travel on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.   Making sure your plans include a Saturday overnight will also score you a cheaper fare.  Direct flights are the most expensive.  So, pick one with a connection.  If you're not keen on connections, then pick one that has a stopover.  Meaning the plane may stop in a city on the way to drop of some and pick up others.  But, the plane continues on to your destination.  These types of flights are still cheaper than direct flights.  Fly at off-peak times.  Mid-day flights are generally cheaper than the early morning flights.  Also ask for child/youth fares.  Not all airlines offer them.  But, some do.  It never hurts to ask.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN