Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for a good recipe for meatless taco casserole

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM
  • 7 Replies

I was looking to find a good meatless taco or nacho bake.  Today is a Friday of lent.  So no meat.  I wanted something different than we usually eat for lent.  I seen some that  had tofu stuff in it. Dh won't eat that.  I have flour tortilla's, canned refried beans and black beans, diced tomatoes,cheese including a big brick of Velveeta cheese and a can of enchilada sauce. I also have some bell peppers in the freezer in baggies. Plus some onions in the fridge.  Oh I do have some cans of sliced black olives and rice.

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lnk8522
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM

id layer some chips down, pan brown some chopped portabella mushrooms in oil, and put thm on top of the chips, then soem enchilada or taco sauce, or salsa. then layer the beans, tomatoes, lettuce, peppers, olives, onions and cheese.

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Thanks.  Just don't have sour cream.  I do have 2 avacados in the fridge. MIght try to incorporate them in this meal. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

http://www.sweetandsavoryfood.com/2010/07/meatless-taco-lasagna.html

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

What I ended up doing.   I made cheese sauce with a can of generic rotel and Velveeta.  I sprayed the pan with cooking spray so nothing sticks. Poured a bit of cheese sauce on the bottom. Then tortilla.  Then spread some refried beans,sprinkled some black beans and diced onion then shredded cheddar and a drizzle of cheese sauce.  Kept doing layers till I ended with tortilla on top. Covered with the remaining cheese sauce and shredded cheddar.  I will bake like a lasagne.   Even if it were not a Friday of lent. I'd make this again. If I had salad fixings. I'd make a garden salad to go with it.  I guess I'll open up a can of fruit.  I had hoped to go to the produce market. But didn't.  It's just to slushy messy out.  I'd of had to take the bus there with my shopping cart.

AzariahsMother
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:13 PM

No suggestions sorry

matreshka
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Black beans are great and I see you used them :)

matreshka
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Not to nitpick but most refried beans have lard in them so they technically have meat, there are many brands that have vegetarian refried beans.

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

What I ended up doing.   I made cheese sauce with a can of generic rotel and Velveeta.  I sprayed the pan with cooking spray so nothing sticks. Poured a bit of cheese sauce on the bottom. Then tortilla.  Then spread some refried beans,sprinkled some black beans and diced onion then shredded cheddar and a drizzle of cheese sauce.  Kept doing layers till I ended with tortilla on top. Covered with the remaining cheese sauce and shredded cheddar.  I will bake like a lasagne.   Even if it were not a Friday of lent. I'd make this again. If I had salad fixings. I'd make a garden salad to go with it.  I guess I'll open up a can of fruit.  I had hoped to go to the produce market. But didn't.  It's just to slushy messy out.  I'd of had to take the bus there with my shopping cart.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)