Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about Netflix

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:28 PM
  • 12 Replies

I was reading their FAQs on the website last night, but I still had some questions. We HAVE to get rid of Dish Network-our expenses are higher than our income, and we want to really start building our EF.We'd be using our XB360. Here's some of our questions:

1. TV shows-it won't help us get local or network TV, like the news, will it? That's the one MUST have for us-watching the news and weather.

2. Are the television shows available more network or more cable? I really don't watch network TV any more.

3. How is the selection of movies? I'm not as much a movie buff as my boyfriend, but I usually watch ones that I've already seen.

Does anyone else use Netflix through an XBox or other gaming console? We have an older HDTV, and I'm not really sure how to set up all the cables, etc. for Hulu (and our computer wouldn't be able to stream much since it's old). Thanks everyone!

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:31 PM

1 - no, you will need an antenna for that

2 - Cable although there are some network

3 - They're ok.  Not the latest, but still a pretty big selection. 

We have an antenna, Netflix and Hulu (Netflix and Hulu are run through the Xbox).  We spend $14 a month and couldn't be happier...

Rhodin
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:38 PM

You can't get local news on Netflix, but most news stations have streaming on their websites.  Also, network stations are free, although you might need to buy a digital antenna and/or box.  It'd be a one-time purchase.

The TV shows on Netflix are behind what's shown on TV, but they'll release a whole season in one go, so no more cliffhangers.  I'm not sure if there's more cable vs. network shows since I haven't actually watched TV in years.

There's a huge variety of movies, a bit heavy on the "B" end, but overall worth 8 bucks a month.  Every so often, they'll release extra-awesome things for a limited time.

I've never used Netflix through a console, but since the Xbox is already plugged into the TV, it's probably just a matter of connecting the Xbox to the internet, then downloading the apppropirate app.

sucker4myloves
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this

No, no news or anything. Get one of those digital antennas or whatever they are.

Mostly cable, some network but I'm not sure what.

If it's a movie that's done extremely well monetarily, it most likely won't be on there. There's exceptions of course, but a lot of newer or more popular movies are not on there.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!
REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

LilySlim Diet days tickers

Saphira1207
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:26 AM

To use netflix via xbox you need a gold membership for xboxlive.  it's $60/year = ~$5/month (that's the cheapest option.  There's 3- &6- month options too), but you have to buy a card and put in the code for it.  I haven't checked the xboxlive website in a while but you might be able to buy them through there too.

And if you pay attention to sales flyers you can get the yearly one cheaper.  Just a few weeks ago they were on sale at target for $39.99 with an extra month added on.

Set up is a breeze.  Plug the console into the "a/v in" port on your tv and make sure you set the tv to that instead of your regular stations.

Once you get neflix activated you follow their instructions for entering your code to let the console "talk" to netflix.   You'll need to either hardwire the console to your computer or set up the wifi for it.  Again not hard, just time consuming.

I think your biggest problem would be your internet speed.  If it's not high you're going to have alot of buffering going on.  And that's determined by your service provider, not the age of your computer.  :)

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:31 AM
This.
Unless you pay extra for DVD rentals too, you can't get new movies streamlined.

Quoting sucker4myloves:

No, no news or anything. Get one of those digital antennas or whatever they are.

Mostly cable, some network but I'm not sure what.

If it's a movie that's done extremely well monetarily, it most likely won't be on there. There's exceptions of course, but a lot of newer or more popular movies are not on there.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:34 AM

If you have a PC near your TV you can use a video cable to put the PC screen on the tv as a second monitor, thus being able to watch netflix without having to pay for the xbox glod membership.

Do you have a digital antenna? That will help you get local stations.

Personally, I like netflix better than hulu plus, a better selection for us.

lrose57
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:56 AM
We have an outside antenna and get about 20 local stations.... NBC< CBS ABC and all of the PBS stations in the area and the local stations in the area, plus ME TV which we actually watch a lot.... we have Netflix and Amazon prime, plus with the digital tv we can stream youtube videos...(just watched The Bible show last week...) The only thing I miss from Direct TV is TLC....hard to find those shows anywhere.... We have a ROKU to get the Netflix,
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

No local news.  It's all movies or tv shows.  I think the selection SUCKS!!!  I swear it's like they never change them.  We got rid of ours after 2 months because it was not worth it. 

Moki75
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM

we mainly use it to watch old shows.  I love it but I don't see how it would replace cable for my family

scorpiobabes
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Thank you ladies. We have broadband Internet, though at times, it takes forever. I think for now we'll forgo Netflix, and get the digital antenna instead.

Whose bright idea was it to make our television reception all digital again? :\
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)