Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

I feel like giving up...we have the worst luck

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:12 AM
  • 60 Replies

So....we sold DH's car yesterday for $350 (yeah, it was worth that), and he drove my minivan to work this morning ....and hit a deer.  The amount of damage (front fascia, hood, front quarter panel) will result in the vehicle being totaled.  We'll have to get another one, and I just don't have ANY extra money in our budget for a car payment unless we stop using electricity or eating, and only $700 in savings at the moment.

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
occumommy
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh that sucks *hugs* is there anyway you can drive the minivan without,? or go to a junk yard and get replacement parts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aamy
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Buy a used car. Sure its money up front but no car payment.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Quoting Aamy:

What kind of reliable car can we get for $700? 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Quoting occumommy:

Oh that sucks *hugs* is there anyway you can drive the minivan without,? or go to a junk yard and get replacement parts?

We're not sure about the replacement parts...I have to talk to my DS about that....but we definitely can't let it even sit without a hood, and I know DH wouldn't drive it without a front facsia or hood to protect the engine parts.

He drives 30 miles one way to work.

Aamy
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:22 AM
I don't know look around. I know my parents always bought used cars and we have as well. Or have yoi r dh use a bike, bum rides till you can save up some money.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Aamy:

Momforhealth
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Sucks. Im sorry. Maybe you can sell it to Carmax and get a new one there?
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I had someone back into my old car and total it.  My insurance company (progressive) was really good about it.  They decided not to total the car but give me a check for the "repairs" which was worth more than the car.  I'm not sure if it was because someone hit me though.  They adjuster told me to take that check and get rid of the car.

I don't think you can find a RELIABLE used car for $700, not with the way that used cars are holding their value these days.  For$700 you will have to make a lot of repairs on a used car.

What about financing?

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:28 AM

DH travels 30 miles one way to work.  It'll have to be a very reliable vehicle with no required repairs.  Even the one we just sold yesterday had to have repairs, which is why we sold it to a mechanic's son.

Quoting Aamy:

I don't know look around. I know my parents always bought used cars and we have as well. Or have yoi r dh use a bike, bum rides till you can save up some money.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Aamy:

lrose57
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Def buy used... got a great car on ebay....still going strong.. Nissan Sentra. Much smaller loan....get it froma credit union.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM

We could easily get financing, but we don't have any extra money in the budget at the moment for any kind of car payment.  I have to take the $$ we got for his car yesterday and pay bills with it.

I'm so sick of working hard to keep things frugal and we still get bit in the ass.

Quoting matreshka:

I had someone back into my old car and total it.  My insurance company (progressive) was really good about it.  They decided not to total the car but give me a check for the "repairs" which was worth more than the car.  I'm not sure if it was because someone hit me though.  They adjuster told me to take that check and get rid of the car.

I don't think you can find a RELIABLE used car for $700, not with the way that used cars are holding their value these days.  For$700 you will have to make a lot of repairs on a used car.

What about financing?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)