Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

$72 for groceries for the week...

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:14 AM
  • 35 Replies

For DH, LO and I.  Its getting harder to get to my $50 goal with the way grocery prices are skyrocketing, even with coupons, and I don't buy processed foods.

The main issue I have is that we (but mostly me) have to cook some entirely seperate meals for DH + LO and then me.  They have issues with soy, even organic tofu and I get sick from eating meat.  We are able to do lentils and beans together which I am happy about but soy makes my 2 guys have GI problems.

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chicken13
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I hear you on the grocery prices....it's getting impossible.

I've been really looking at the reduced produce and meats section...bringing it home...and then figuring out the meal plan.  Cause I never know what will be there....

AzariahsMother
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:54 AM

UGH!!! Sorry your having problems.  I don't know what the problem is with prices, but I sure wish they would go down some. 

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:58 AM
I'd do bulk meat (5 - 10 lbs) and ore-cook. I remember you posted something similar before...
You could dump it in a crockpot and then dump that into freezer bags, minimal handling.
My friend is die-hard vegan, and unfortunately her diet was not suitable for her little boy. Caused a lot of problems health wise.
I had to go over and show her how to boil eggs and proper meat handling techniques and simple recipes to use for him. It's only been about a year, and she still complains about handling meat on FB just about every week, but she did her research on those pre-prepared meals and there was too much other stuff in it for her to feel good about feeding it to her son.
Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:01 PM
How frustrating!!! Our local grocery store offers meetings with nutritionists. Maybe that's an option for you to give you more food ideas?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I did see a nutritionist for LO due to his sensitivites and got a bunch of recipe ideas for him. I would like for DH to go to a doc and get to the bottom of his problems so we know for sure what this issue is.  Sometimes I worry that its more serious than soy sensitivity.

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

How frustrating!!! Our local grocery store offers meetings with nutritionists. Maybe that's an option for you to give you more food ideas?

matreshka
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I am suprised by how much more expensive meat is than what I am used to cooking. 

Quoting AzariahsMother:

UGH!!! Sorry your having problems.  I don't know what the problem is with prices, but I sure wish they would go down some. 

AnonyMOUSE715
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:07 PM
I'm not sure if she knows or not but if she really doesn't want to handle meat she can may be able to buy already prepared meats, like I know stores here sell rotisserie chickens so I'm sure there is other already cooked meat. It tastes good and is prepared what seems pretty healthily... you can use it in plenty of meals.

To op; 72 bucks sounds good for one week especially since you have special food needs and seem like you're cooking healthily! I might be able to get by on $50 a week but it's just my fiance & I and I tend to buy super cheap foods, frozen dinners, etc. Lol. Maybe look at spending a bit more at once and buy in bulk at one of those stores like Sam's, BJ's, or costcos. You could save $ and it could last maybe a month if you want to save money. I don't really use coupons but I saw on this show some lady had a good $1,500 worth of food and paid $40 something bucks for it! All depends on if you wanna look like the crazy lady crashing the registers with tons of coupons hahahaha! Sounds like you're doing just fine though.

Quoting mybratsmom:

I'd do bulk meat (5 - 10 lbs) and ore-cook. I remember you posted something similar before...
You could dump it in a crockpot and then dump that into freezer bags, minimal handling.
My friend is die-hard vegan, and unfortunately her diet was not suitable for her little boy. Caused a lot of problems health wise.
I had to go over and show her how to boil eggs and proper meat handling techniques and simple recipes to use for him. It's only been about a year, and she still complains about handling meat on FB just about every week, but she did her research on those pre-prepared meals and there was too much other stuff in it for her to feel good about feeding it to her son.

Good luck.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RosePetalTears
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Sounds like you did a good job!
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:42 PM
That's good they have a nutritionist. Never seen that before

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

a_and_j_momma
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:55 AM
Man, maybe I overspend bc for separate meals that sounds good to me for a week
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)