Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

good bye cable

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:42 AM
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this
Convinced DH to switch from cable to hulu plus &+ netflix.

Now I just have to figure out internet providers .

Comcast was charging us 169 a month!!!
I took over the budget and finances last week. And I'm livid how much he spent and didn't tell me.

But now I'm in control &+ I'm determined to save everywhere we can.

So how do I go about getting internet with no LAN line without getting it thru Comcast / cable or phone companies like ATT Verizon.

How does net10 work? Help please &+ thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Once our dish contract is up, we're switching to Hulu+. We already have Netflix.

We have Internet through a local company & pay $34.99/month. We have a cable connection. It's l that's available in our town.

How large is the town where you live? If it's large, you have tons of options. Google it & start comparing pricing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
poshkat
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Shop around before you decide on a company. We were paying time warner cable (the only company in the area), 39 dollars a month for just internet before we moved.
MamaFrankie
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:51 AM
We live in Miami for the time being.
For just internet and basic tv Comcast charged 169 a month.!!

I want to avoid hidden fees as much as possible

Quoting lillybug222:

Once our dish contract is up, we're switching to Hulu+. We already have Netflix.

We have Internet through a local company & pay $34.99/month. We have a cable connection. It's l that's available in our town.

How large is the town where you live? If it's large, you have tons of options. Google it & start comparing pricing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:56 AM

For us, where we live going though our cable company, charter is the cheapest way to get internet that is fast and reliable.  We do get cable as well as a package but don't do the cable/phone/internet as its a ripoff.  We pay $114/mo.  Here we cant choose our own cable company, I would have liked to do comcast, all the surrounding towns have it and its better, don't know why our town is the oddball.

I would not use Net10 for anything.  I used to have them as my prepaid cell phone provider and they double charged me every month. I would have to spend a good 30 min on the phone with them clearing the charges up.

I don't really know how it works but our verizon phones can become a wifi hot spot, beaming wifi from the 4g network to your home.  If you have a phone that can do that, call your provider and see what the additional fees would be.

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Wow that is a lot for basic + internet!  Comcast must up the fees in major cities.

Quoting MamaFrankie:

We live in Miami for the time being.
For just internet and basic tv Comcast charged 169 a month.!!

I want to avoid hidden fees as much as possible

Quoting lillybug222:

wulfbourne
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Honestly, most places I've seen the cable internet is cheaper and more reliable.  You can look at if Verizon Fios is available and call to get their rates.  Also, call Comcast and see what you can do with the bill if you take off TV. That portion of the bill often costs more then you need.  "Basic cable" isn't so basic anymore.  Especially if you have an HD settop box (which they probably charge a monthly fee to rent).  The internet portion is probably only $60 of that.  The rest is box rental, 200+ channels including HD, fees, etc.  Also internet speeds are tiered and he may have you signed up for one that's faster then you need, or they may offer you a really good deal to keep you at that speed.

One other thing to consider, I don't know if an antenna works where you are or not.  When we lived in our townhouse we couldn't get reception no matter what.  So we called the cable company (we already had internet) to find out about what our options were to get just the local channels.  It's never advertised, but they almost always have a limited basic plan for 10-15 bucks a month that is network and local channels (including PBS which I found great for the kids).   

ambermario4ever
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:00 AM

We have Internet through brighthouse for $71 a month and we have Hulu and Netflix and an anntanne for tv

AzariahsMother
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Have never heard of net10.  I bundle with comcast and it's way cheaper then me paying separate for things.  Plus I was not a fan of netflix or hulu so that's why I stayed.

Blessedlife79
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Wow where are you?? I have internet and basic cable through Brighthouse and my bill is $60 with taxes.

Quoting ambermario4ever:

We have Internet through brighthouse for $71 a month and we have Hulu and Netflix and an anntanne for tv

ambermario4ever
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Lake county, fl we have the faster speed Internet so with taxes it is $71 a month even 

Quoting Blessedlife79:

Wow where are you?? I have internet and basic cable through Brighthouse and my bill is $60 with taxes.

Quoting ambermario4ever:

toddler girl                         toddler boy

Sarah                                           Luciano

(10-16-06)                                  (11-27-08)

Code snippet: HTML, Used for some forums.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN