Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

how did you save money on your wedding?

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:51 PM
  • 25 Replies
i found a good price on flowers but it comes with a bouquet for the maid of honor and nothing for the brides maids. so im thinking of getting the moh and the bridesmaids the thing that go on the wrist then cutting up the moh bouquet for the flower girls. im also getting discount dresses. what did you do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Larisa72
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:15 PM

had ceremont/reception in same pplace in the same room (people were already at their tables during the ceremony), had buffet, only allowed beer and wine, everything else was cash bar, maid the dresses for my girls, had the cake made as my gift by my aunt, made my own placecards/favors

Charley427
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:29 PM
We made all the buffet food, invatations, favors, center pieces, and I designed my own cake with 6 8 in round cakes ans bought a set of tiers and covered them with fabric.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
princess_1983
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:22 PM

My parents paid for my wedding. 

lillucky8
by Jen on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Wholesale flowers and my sis did bouquets and centerpieces, printed my own invitations, thank you cards, i made a table seating book for the entrance, i did all the decorations myself, i used a student photographer she was amazing and so was her price, dj was a friend so i got a discount...pretty much everything had my hands in it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Jen on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I went to the craft store wkly with a 40% off coupon and purchased one thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maries_Mom23
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:28 PM

My wedding was pretty cheap!

Bridesmaids dresses- $20 for both (coworker sold them to me, fit my girls to a T and matched my colors of silver and purple)

My aunt made my bouquet for about $15

Since the girls' dresses had flowers on them, we didnt do bouquest for them.  We bought wine glasses at the dollar store, put a purple candle in them and a purple bow around the stem, lit the candle before they walked down the aisle.  

Pew bows made by my aunt..about $20 total.

Food...it was in the afternoon, so, we done a meat and cheese tray, veggie tray, fruit tray and soda and coffee.  

Cake made by a friend, $1/guest...cost was $100.

We done the tealight bags on stairs of the church.

Bought a ton of tealights uber cheap and bought little bowls, put the colorful rocks in them and a tealight and put them on the tables.  

Reception was at the church's reception hall, no extra charge.  

I'm sure there's more, but, I can't think of it..it's been 11 years!  LOL 

Kristen.Marie
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Make your own bouquets and boutineers. Make your own centerpieces. Skip out on a few things like renting chair covers and an lot of decor for the ceremony space if u can.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ciao_kitty
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:31 PM

We had ours as a picnic/bbq (we bought alot of foodstuff from Costco), had a friend cook for us, and we had a potluck-y thing. I also bought a pretty white dress that I could repurpose as an everyday dress (Old Navy, I think it was $40). And, we had it at a state park. We also bought kegs of beer. We splurged on the beer from DH's favorite brewery. 

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I got a dress I liked on sale. Kept costs down by comparing services and costs on flowers, catering and photos. Paid for it all myself both times and it wasn't very expensive.

Here is a big hint though be very clear with your photographer. No photos during the ceremony. So many times they get very distracting to the ceremony itself.

Lot's of family candid photos. In the future when you've lost some family you will treasure grandma and aunts in those photos. 

Photos before the wedding so you can get to your reception and not keep everyone waiting.

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Have you considered looking at a wholesale place that delivers? Idk if you have a BJ's by you but they had a great deal on 200 roses for $99.

For my wedding, we were going to go with BJ's and have them delivered and put them together ourselves. But we couldn't place the order in time and a friend of mine pulled some serious strings and got her well known florist friend to do my entire wedding party....my bouquet, MOH, other bridesmaids, boutteniers for DH and his groomsmen AS WELL AS boutts and corsages for all parents and grandparents for a measly $250. I was shocked and he made us promise not to tell people in the area he did that for us lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)