Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Work-at-Home Mom = No Child-Care Costs? Not So Fast!

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:47 AM
  • 47 Replies

I follow the Working Mother magazine and thought this article was a great one for those thinking about working from home. I work from home and will be honest-I would LOVE a few hours break every once in awhile. Working from home may seem like the perfect dream, but it is very demanding, long hours. 

Work-at-Home Mom = No Child-Care Costs? Not So Fast!

This article, supported by Genworth, helps you focus on some serious questions about childcare and money, if you're considering working from home.

By Joyce Brewer

When we did the "mental math" on caring for our son the first few years of his life, it just made sense for me to stay at home and, eventually, work from home. At first glance, it didn't seem logical to give away half my salary for a full-time day care or preschool.

Fast-forward almost three years, and I found myself having second thoughts about whether I should go back to work. But we’ve found our “theory,” that child-care costs wouldn’t exist while I was an at-home mom, has slapped us in the face—hard!

My son attends a part-time preschool, because I think it’s useful for him to socialize and learn how to share. Plus, I need dedicated time to make calls and edit videos for my talk show or other clients. Even with him in preschool, I find myself in need of a babysitter when I have a business or networking meeting in the afternoons or evenings. Just this week, I needed the sitter for four hours while I spoke to a new media class at Kennesaw State University. That put a more than $50 dent in our weekly budget.

Private school seems to be an attractive option, particularly as food costs go up, not to mention the fact our county school board is under watch by the state of Georgia for alleged mismanagement.  Needless to say, going back to work to earn a consistent income and invest in my retirement account looks more and more attractive.

In the fall, we’re considering sending our son to a cooperative part-time preschool three days a week, where the tuition is about $300 a month. He would have a dedicated 12 hours a week in which he’s cared for and learning. I would have more time to attend networking events, attend webinars and take on additional clients to grow my business. The goal is to increase my income to be more than double his preschool costs to make it worthwhile. I’ve also been using tools like Genworth Financial’s Easy Budget Calculator, will help us get a clearer look at our family’s budget.

I have a feeling that by the time our son gains his independence and moves into kindergarden and beyond, we may make another decision about his schooling and my workload. I’d love to make my pre-mommy income two years from now; that way, I can make more of a contribution to our family’s budget for vacations, savings and the college costs coming in 14 years. It happens sooner than you think. 

Moms, how does your family calculate child-care costs?

Does it make sense for you to stay home while your children are small—then go back to working outside the home?

Joyce Brewer is the creator/host of MommyTalkShow.com, a video blog for Atlanta moms. The Emmy award-winning TV journalist walked away from the local TV news anchor desk after she got engaged, married and pregnant all in one year. She's the author of Use What You Know: A Business Idea Guide for Moms.

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessica1078
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:56 AM
2 moms liked this

makes sense. finding enough hours to earn a decent income while tending to a LO is unimaginable... I'd love to work-from-home but as a SAHM now I know I couldn't do it without daycare/preschool

sucker4myloves
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:01 AM

ah geez, when you have a two year old screaming, pulling, poking, throwing, hitting, kicking, and otherwise misbehaving to get your attention while you work, yeah it SUCKS. I HATE IT. I start a job outside of the home soon, much less stress I hope.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!
REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

LilySlim Diet days tickers

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:32 AM
I know, I homeschool through k12, two(5)&(7) in kinder. One just turned 7 and has adhd/pdd-nos. I finished my designs an hour ago and the program to upload to the store wasn't working. I need to be up in a few hours, so today will be long.

On the plus side when my 3 yr old fell today and needed to go in, it was great to have the flexable schedule. It does allow me free time when any of my kids or hubby need something. But it is far from easy.

Quoting sucker4myloves:

ah geez, when you have a two year old screaming, pulling, poking, throwing, hitting, kicking, and otherwise misbehaving to get your attention while you work, yeah it SUCKS. I HATE IT. I start a job outside of the home soon, much less stress I hope.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lnk8522
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:44 AM
i'm a single mom, so i have to work,i don't have a choice but to cough up more then a third of my bring home pay for daycare
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:29 AM

it depends on the job and if you have to be making calls and all that....if you are just typing stuff out and can get up and leave and come back...it may not be as frustrating.

but i dont work from home...although I would love to at some point.

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I did the single mom thing for 7 years, I understand. I went to college online, worked outside the home and held a postion as manager for Tupperware. It can be stressful. Have you looked to see if in your area there are any income based daycares? My oldest has dyslexia so I was able to get him into Headstart wouldn't have been able to on income qualifications though.

Quoting lnk8522:

i'm a single mom, so i have to work,i don't have a choice but to cough up more then a third of my bring home pay for daycare

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:33 AM
2 moms liked this

From my experience looking around at work at home jobs, the only good ones are the ones where you need to be focused and working, either typing/transcription or making calls basically full time. So there is a need for some focus and alone time in order to get it done.

I do some crafting, jewelery and art on the side and consign it at local record and crafty stores.  I don't make that much and still I need the time alone to do it.  But I love doing it and any extra cash for the household goes a long way.

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Could be, I design and work on Genealogy from home so sometimes I can't just walk away from the project. Keep thinking as the kids get older it maybe easier (fingers crossed)/

Quoting aneela:

it depends on the job and if you have to be making calls and all that....if you are just typing stuff out and can get up and leave and come back...it may not be as frustrating.

but i dont work from home...although I would love to at some point.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I found it very difficult to try to work from home with little ones around.  The minute you try to work on something, that is when all heck breaks loose and they are needing/wanting/demanding your attention right.that.minute.  They only leave you alone when you aren't trying to get some work done.

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree, there are a lot of Customer service jobs that require complete quiet and focus. I tried the craft and it became impossible with the 3 little ones for me. It never really brought in the money I am seeing with design work, and even that isn't as much as it could be because I can't do it full time. But every little bit helps in the long run.

I love crafts to, and am making it a point to make something each day.

Quoting matreshka:

From my experience looking around at work at home jobs, the only good ones are the ones where you need to be focused and working, either typing/transcription or making calls basically full time. So there is a need for some focus and alone time in order to get it done.

I do some crafting, jewelery and art on the side and consign it at local record and crafty stores.  I don't make that much and still I need the time alone to do it.  But I love doing it and any extra cash for the household goes a long way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)