Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's your odd way of saving?

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:56 PM
  • 23 Replies

I often buy the grated parm packaged in the big square container at Costco (it costs about 16 dollars in my area), I noticed that the whole wedges of parm is about $13 dollars a pound, I decided to re-wash the container and grate the cheese into it. Voila! Saves me about 3 bucks.

I also use a plain Swiffer,but it still costs money to buy the refills. So my bright idea was to cut a microfiber cleaning cloth in half, use it as a dry wipe to dust, and than I wet it to mop. Whenever it gets too dirty, I just take it off, rinse it off and mop and when I'm done it goes into the laundry.

What's your odd way of saving?

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:30 AM
We do the same thing with the Costco parm!!! I do that with all the cheese...I make bread to be eaten on the weekends...the microfiber cloths are great for cleaning...I don't really think anything I do is odd, although I'm sure a lot of people who know me do. When my old co-workers found out I made my own laundry soap and body wash, people started leaving things at my desk...what they didn't realize is that I was able to stay home because of my "weird" habits.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oddfox
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

In the "Tightwad Gazette" Amy Dacyzyn mentions wiping down and reusing aluminum foil, zip lock bags, and going to cloth napkins. We do all these and it saves a bundle. We also compost our vegetable scraps for the garden. There other more conventional ways to save too. Shopping thrift stores, using freecycle, making scrap quilts, canning and freezing produce, using the public library. It's a challenge to see what resources are available in your area.

Amanda52007
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM
3 moms liked this

We reuse ziploc bags, unless they've had meat in them. I'm still not comfortable with that. lol

At income tax time, I pay ahead on a few of our monthly bills. Then, let's say....the bill is only $150 every month, I STILL pay $200 every month. By October/November....our balance is $0 so I don't pay anything and pocket that extra money from the budget and use it for Christmas presents.

AzariahsMother
by Lynsey on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:24 AM

We reuse Ziploc too and tinfoil if I can.

Quoting Amanda52007:

We reuse ziploc bags, unless they've had meat in them. I'm still not comfortable with that. lol

At income tax time, I pay ahead on a few of our monthly bills. Then, let's say....the bill is only $150 every month, I STILL pay $200 every month. By October/November....our balance is $0 so I don't pay anything and pocket that extra money from the budget and use it for Christmas presents.

KateyBrands
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I make my own cleaner, am looking into making our laundry soup, but want to wait until my son is born to see how sensitive his skin is, I have started making my own breads, trying to completely cut out eating out. That's a slow process though as I am pregnant and have a craving for DQ's dipped cones often lol. i have started with once a month grocery sopping and set a firm budget. I'm a beginner but I'm already loving living just a bit more frugal!

CafeMom Tickers
e.sugarbaby
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Use a dryer ball instead of bounce sheets..it's only weird cause I'm not sure how the ball actually works but it does! No chemicals either.

ciao_kitty
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I totally agree with you! My original title for this post was going to be something along the ways of saving using unconventional methods. What kind of things would your old co-workers leave you? 

Quoting mybratsmom:

We do the same thing with the Costco parm!!! I do that with all the cheese...I make bread to be eaten on the weekends...the microfiber cloths are great for cleaning...I don't really think anything I do is odd, although I'm sure a lot of people who know me do. When my old co-workers found out I made my own laundry soap and body wash, people started leaving things at my desk...what they didn't realize is that I was able to stay home because of my "weird" habits.

ciao_kitty
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I haven't thought of reusing tinfoil, I should do that...but, I use it alot for baking or cooking so do I just wash it well and dry? I second (or third?) reusing Ziploc bags, but before I grab one, I try to use a glass container instead. Oh, I also don't use paper towels except to clean the exterior of the toilet. 

Quoting AzariahsMother:

We reuse Ziploc too and tinfoil if I can.

Quoting Amanda52007:

ciao_kitty
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I had those too! But I don't know what happened to them. I also heard you could use tennis balls, but maybe I'm confusing that with drying comforters using tennis balls to keep the filling from bunching. When the weather is nice out, I use drying racks instead; I fold the clothes after I take them off the lines and I put them directly into the drawers. I find it more efficient than using the dryer bc I still need to take them out, lug them indoors, fold than place back into the drawers. 

Quoting e.sugarbaby:

Use a dryer ball instead of bounce sheets..it's only weird cause I'm not sure how the ball actually works but it does! No chemicals either.

ciao_kitty
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, vinegar for cleaning and as clothes softener. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)