Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

anyone eat organic if so would love to hear tips

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:46 AM
  • 23 Replies

do you eat organic if so how do you save of food? what do you spend on food each month? Any tips would be great too. Thanks so much

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SunfairyChrise
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:52 AM

and or tips for any kind of healthy eating as well ty!

SunfairyChrise
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:56 AM

Thinking specifically in terms of fruits veggies chicken beef milk is there a real difference between some organics anyways or are you just paying more for some? 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:34 AM
2 moms liked this

I follow a grain-free clean eating plan.  That means veggies, meats (including fish), eggs, some fruit, nuts & seeds, very little dairy...and no processed foods including bread, pasta, or cereal.  My grocery budget (food, pet food, cat litter, paper products, cleaning supplies, personal care/hygiene items) doesn't exceed $515 a month when I factor in the annual purchase of a whole organic grass-fed beef and pastured pork and the 100 chickens we raise every year for our freezer. That is for 5 adult appetites (2 adults, 2 teen boys, 12 yr old girl).

I have a very large garden (2000 sq. feet) during the summer.  I grow several varieties of veggies, salad greens, and fruits...all organic...and preserve what we don't eat fresh. 

I'm fortunate to live within driving distance of an Amish grocer.  They buy produce from their community's farmers most of the year, so I know I'm getting good fruits and veggies at excellent prices.

I will sometimes order organic foods from Amazon.  They're not great savings, but I have more choices.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:40 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting SunfairyChrise:

Thinking specifically in terms of fruits veggies chicken beef milk is there a real difference between some organics anyways or are you just paying more for some? 

If you get fruits & veggies from a GOOD organic farmer that takes time to keep a living soil (nutrients aren't depleted), the fruits and veggies are different in their nutrient content vs. fruits and veggies grown in a conventional method.

Eggs from pastured hens will have more vitamin D along with other nutrients.

Chicken and beef from pastured animals will be different than what you typically find in a grocery store.  The chicken meat hasn't had solutions injected into it, so it may be a little chewier, plus the fact that the birds walk around and actually use their muscles contributes to the texture.  It'll be a little darker due to the fact the birds have been outside eating their natural diet instead of penned up in a building and fed an unnatural vegetarian diet.  Beef will have a stronger flavor and may not be marbled with fat.  I still cook the meats the same way I would if I bought it from the store and it's fine, although the chicken is still a little tough when compared to store-bought chicken.

oddfox
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:20 AM
4 moms liked this

To Michiganmom,

I always appreciate your imput. Thanks again for all of us who benefit from your experience.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Cutting out processed food helps a lot.  Sometimes people just keep the same way of eating, but switch to processed foods that say "organic" on the label.  When you do that, eating organic IS really expensive. 

oddfox
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't have a ton of space and I don't do all organic, but our small raised bed is organic. If you want to try that out, I'd recommend looking at "Square Foot Gardening" by Mel Bartholomew. (Borrow through interlibrary loan or off a friend?) Some options, depending on where you live, might be joining a CSA, or food cooperative, finding a farm stand or market, going directly to a farmer for your meats, dairy and eggs.  A friend and I plan to hit a farmer's market as they auction bushels of produce during the summer. It's a bit of a distance away but would be worth it. Then we plan on freezing and canning together.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting oddfox:

To Michiganmom,

I always appreciate your imput. Thanks again for all of us who benefit from your experience.

You are very welcome! 

My learning experiences haven't always been pleasant, but if I can help anyone by "paying it forward" then it's all been worth it.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM

The label "organic" doesn't always equal healthy, either.  Sugar (cookies, cakes, etc.) can be organic but that doesn't mean it's good for you.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Cutting out processed food helps a lot.  Sometimes people just keep the same way of eating, but switch to processed foods that say "organic" on the label.  When you do that, eating organic IS really expensive. 

JakeandEmmasMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Exactly!  I always laugh about that.  You have to read the label.  Just because some of the ingredients were grown organically doesn't mean it is healthy.  It can still be full of hydrogenated oils and all kinds of crap.

I think people who are thinking of going organic should really think about their reasons for doing so and spend some time learning about nutrition.  To me, if you're going to spend the extra money, make sure that your body is actually benefiting from it.

Quoting michiganmom116:

The label "organic" doesn't always equal healthy, either.  Sugar (cookies, cakes, etc.) can be organic but that doesn't mean it's good for you.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)