Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

How did you start couponing?

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:35 PM
  • 15 Replies

I used to coupon. Never what I would call extreme, but enough that I would get things free or very low cost on occassion. I stopped doing it and wanted to start back up again, but so many things have changed. I don't want to go overboard with it. For instance, I don't want forty of an item we never use or may not use. I only want to coupon on things we will use. So, how did you start? Did it take you long to start building up a stockpile for emergencies? Do you shop by flyers and sales or just with a particular store that you trust?

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iamtryingforme
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this

coupons.com couponmom.com krazycouponlady.com sites I use

scribemommeg
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this

So you just jumped in? I've been thinking about just starting with what we buy and building from there. Have you ever used a coupon clipping service? Is it worth it?

cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I combine sale items and price match a lot at walmart. I have a small stockpile (well, compared to a lot of people tiny. Lol) and it was because of tax returns. I usuaslly only use coupons on cat food and laundry soap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeachLifeMama
by Dawn on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I use these sites as well or from Sunday newspaper.

Quoting iamtryingforme:

coupons.com couponmom.com krazycouponlady.com sites I use

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
endurablemist
by Crystal on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a stock pile if cleaning supplies, soap, shampoo, toothpaste, and deodorant. Its not huge, but its enough for us. I like coupondivas.com for coupon match ups, and printables. I have a coupon binder to stay organized. I usually shop at my local store, one reason is I work there, another is they double coupons, and its less crowded than Walmart so I don't feel like I'm in the way, or rushed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
circupon
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Smartsource.com lets you search for coupons by brand and then there is us, circupon.com  :) that lets you see what is on sale this week (images) and matching coupons (drugstores only right now, adding more stores soon) Our printable coupon matchups are powered by coupons.com for now....

matreshka
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I don't get extreme and don't stockpile.  Basically I make a list of things I need then search the internet for printable coupons.  Some stores near me have coupon flyers (whole foods) and I grab one of those, and use the coupons when they match up with a sale or manufacturer's coupon.

rmcd496
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I used to be very into couponing and taught seminars.  My best advise to starting is to pick one store that you will learn the ins and outs  of to get the best deals.  The best store to do this is one that is convenient to your home or work so if you want you can go there multifple times in a week as new deal scenarios are shared amoung other couponers.

Find blogs or forums just on that store and do their sales for things you WILL use for a month or more.  When you are comfortable, add another store.

If you have a store in mind, I'd be happy to share with you the best blogs or forums I use. 

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:39 PM
I started just browsing thru the Sunday paper n the sales flyer n notice the paper also had coupon insets so I started trying to combine the sales n coupons on my own . Later on I found websites to help .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momamanda
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I buy almost everything at kroger. They have Great sales and offer e-coupons. Although you cannot combine them with paper coupons anymore. You used to be able to before all the extreme couponers started. I have a binder and Baseball card pages. I always google the sneak peak of coupons on saturday then If it's worth it buy a paper on sunday. We also go to the recycle lot once a week with our recyclables and when I am there I take a peek in the paper bin. I dont climb in and dig or anything just look through what I can reach. Last time I was there I found 6 sets of coupons inserts  and there were some Awesome coupons in them. I also get some from the websites others have listed. If you have a kroger the more you shop there the more coupons they will send you in the mail. Here they also double coupons up to .50 everyday, unless it's a store coupon. only Manufacturers coupons. I usually scan through the kroger flyer and peek at my coupons then take my binder with me to the store and price/coupon compare there. I get good deals often but don't go crazy. although Kroger will not allow you get more than 3 items free with coupons so If we get a coupon to get something free we make several trips to the store but we live right across the street so it's no biggie. Our most recent Big deal we got were Free Craisins and after 5 seperate trips getting other deals as well we got 15 free bags of craisins. My dh and I will both do the shopping so it's no big deal for us. Craisins is something I dont mind having 15 of, as we LOVE them. Now 15 free cans of sardines I would never buy! haha. or even cottage cheese as no one in my house would eat it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)