Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you switch banks if you were offered free money to do that?

Posted by   + Show Post

We get lots of junk mail including from the bank that holds the loan on our house.  Which by the way will be paid in full November 2016.  When I get stuff from that bank.  I make sure it's nothing important. Like related to the loan on our house.  If not I toss it.  Well there must of been something to open up a checking account.  The other day that bank calls dh to ask if we got a piece of mail from them about opening a checking account.   Telling him.   They'll give us 100$ free for opening up a new checking with them.  Dh says we are not interested.  We are happy with the credit union.    Although I could use 100$ extra right now.  It just isn't the incentive I want to get me to switch.

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Replies (31-33):
je80ss
by New Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:31 AM

There is usually some sort of gimick.  It's def not quick cash.  When I signed up with my bf bank they told me since I was going to have direct deposit, I would be elgible for the free $100 if I had a direct dep set up and kept my account open for 60 or 90 days after...I wasn't opening the accout for this reason but it was an added bonus.  I actually just got that money a couple days ago.  But I've had the account for at least a month or two.

SweetLuci
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I recently opened up a new account because they paid me $200. Then to get a credit card, it was $100. I kpt my old acount open and I'll see which one I like best.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Actually it is in the fine print. Interest is also reported on a 1099 form. It is taxable income.

Quoting happycells:

My advice stay with your credit union.  I did that in the bank in the grocery store and got 75.00 and also received a 1099 to report that money on my taxes, something they don't tell you.  Nothing is FREE. Good for dh saying NO. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)