Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

new to being frugal, Advice?!?

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM
  • 33 Replies

So i've decided to become fugral with a few area's to not only save money but to be more creative and eco friendly. Are there any tips you moms can share with me?

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maryloe
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:08 AM
2 moms liked this
Tip:
1. Brown bag lunches are great. Not only am I spending less but I am choosing to live healthier.
2. For cheap entertainment. I look for free events for the family in the newspaper, magazines, and our city hall.
3. I like do it yourself decorations and gifts. It is more meaningful than store bought. You can get the family to help out and you can get ideas online
4. I shop for clothes at the consignment stores. I save money and still look nice wearing name brand clothes.
5. I make my own household products.
6. I buy books at the used book store and I swap books at the used book store.
7. For eyeglasses I buy my eyeglasses online at Eyebuydirect.com. I get fashionable eye glasses between $20_$40 and that is prescription eye glasses. Buy contacts online as well.
8. I look for deals online before buying retail. I check Brads Deals online and you can see great deals. I bought brand new board games for two dollars each with no shipping because I picked them up at the store.
9. I live with no clutter because I sell my unwanted items.
10. I stick to my shopping list and if there is something that catches my eye I write it on my wish list and review it in a month to see if I still want the item.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:08 AM
2 moms liked this

Garden.  Anyone can farm...even if it's just growing a few herbs on a windowsill.  I've got 2 1/2 dozen tomatoes, some basil, melons, and peppers growing on top of my piano right now.  They don't get direct sun, but they're growing like CRAZY.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Meal plan, and plan to use the leftovers.  Last week I made a roasted chicken for a dinner, then used the leftover meat for a casserole and a pot pie.  3 meals...one chicken....because I planned ahead.

nmaxwell816
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Try using coupons
momrocks2000
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Make homemade cards for birthdays especially when DD needs a card for a friend birthday or get well card, it has special meaning for the person receiving it.

Borrow items for special events for school programs.

Recycle items used for one purpose into a secondary use.  For example, I re-use my empty coffee cans to dispose of our used cooking oil. 

Rummage sale in the Spring/Summer for clothes/shoes/boots/coats and household goods.  I follow multiple garage sale automatic listings on a weekly or daily basis.  I hit up the rummages sale on the 1st day, early morning --- so you grab the best items.   I love designer & brand name clothing...just because I'm fugal doesn't mean I dress down,,,just means I have a larger wardrobe. 

I write down things I want/need for my household, and search for it on clearance racks, esp. at Kohls, Target, and resale stores.

907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Thrift store shopping for clothes, especially kid's clothes, coupons, meal plan, upcycle/repurpose items ( I use plastic containers for plant pots like yogurt and sour cream tubs), cloth diapers, mama cloth... Bulk staples shopping like flour, rice, canned goods...Make household cleaners: I make multi purpose cleaners, laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent... Good luck!
AzariahsMother
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Coupons 

AzariahsMother
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Budget 

AzariahsMother
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Thrift stores are great 

AzariahsMother
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Meal planning 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)