Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

how can i properly ask my landlord for a rent deduction?

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:59 AM
  • 15 Replies

want to ask him for a rent deduction we have a very good relationship great landlord and he lvoes me as a tenant. NOTE i dont expect him to give me one but would like to try. what is the best way to bring this up? What to say? and how much should i ask for TY

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
reindeer-c
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 4:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I would only ask if I was struggling financially. The other thing is maybe for the reduction in rent you could do yard work or cleaning. I don't know how much I would ask him to reduce your rent. It kind of depends on the situation. Good luck!

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:13 AM

He/she will probably say no, but go ahead and ask anyway, at least ask for $50 off, it may keep them from increasing your rent next year! Just tell him you have a lot of bills.

AzariahsMother
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I wouldn't ask, so sorry I have no clue how to ask. 

anotherandree
by Inga on Mar. 31, 2013 at 4:52 PM

This. I wouldn't ask unless you plan on doing something for it, like volunteering to do your own maintenance or yardwork or something.  If you are struggling financially, he might give you a break for a while, but otherwise, you kinda knew what you were agreeing to.

Quoting reindeer-c:

I would only ask if I was struggling financially. The other thing is maybe for the reduction in rent you could do yard work or cleaning. I don't know how much I would ask him to reduce your rent. It kind of depends on the situation. Good luck!

Ayshren
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

You just simply ask. Explain your situation, why you need the reduction. The worst he can say is no. My mom is on disability and when she first got on it, she asked her landlord for a reduction and he reduced it by nearly $200. Good luck!

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I would ask by offering to do some of the routine maintenance.  Offer to do lawn care, and if you are in a multifamily residence to take care of the common areas.

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

What are the conditions that make you think the place isn't worth your full rent? If it's just an "I can no longer afford x per month" then be honest and explain it. If they don't go for it, then either find another place to live or find a way to make it work. 

It's good that you're a good tenant, that should work in your favor. If something is broken in the apartment and they haven't fixed it for a few weeks or more, I would bring that up and say "I think I should only have to pay x for the time it's broken"

moogsmom03
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Idk, it would depend on the reason I suppose. Also, a lot of times especially in this economy landlords base rent on what the mortgage payment is so it's not realistic for them to cut it for you. My husband and I rent out a house and have it priced $200 over what the mortgage is, but we also have to factor in the home warranty that we took out for the house since we are across the state, the insurance which is being paid out of pocket by us because we bought a second house, and gas and time it takes to come back periodically to do repairs and check the property. So basically even though we charge more than the mortgage we are in the red with this house. I would not do a rent reduction for any reason, I would be more likely to rent to someone who could afford to pay it.

powow65
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Ask him if you can do chores around the house IE: mow the grass, take ALL the trash out, "house sit" when they want to go on a vacation.

Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:32 PM

No idea, but I wish I could ask mine. Our rent went up last year because of the kids in the neighborhood busting pipes and ruining the property. My kid doesn't play outside at home so I feel like we're being punished for their neglect.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)