Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

what a waste!

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:14 PM
  • 33 Replies
Last Saturday we invited my in laws over for Easter. They accepted. So hubby and I planned a bigger menu. Spent extra time and money getting ready for today. His mom called today 1.5 hours before they were supposed to be her for lunch. She said she can't come over because a bunch of the family is coming over to her house. At 1. Exactly when our lunch was planned.

I am so mad. My 3 year old was heart broken. Crying on the floor saying "Easter is ruined!"

I can't believe she cancelled last minute. She had obviously known ahead of time since she had invited others over and started to prepare her own meal. If we had known in advance we wouldnt have made all the food! We wasted so much time.

She said we could come over but we were right in the middle of cooking. And honestly hubby and I are too mad to be around them.

Have you had last minute cancelations that wasted your time and money? Were you mad?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rmp
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:17 PM
3 moms liked this

That is soooo inconsiderate ! I would have been upset. Maybe next time you can invite her over and call her a few times and ask if she is on her way yet. Then when she says she is almost there --Wahla ---Go out to dinner with your family. Heeee Heee.

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:25 PM

That was really rude.  I guess take this as a lesson for the next holidays. I've not had this happen because we usually go to either side of our family for the holidays and I would never cancel like that.

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

On the bright side, I guess you have a lot of leftovers and dont need to cook for a few days.

IloveElephants
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Wow, that is the worst in rudeness!  I am mad just thinking about it!!!  I don't think I would invite them over again any time soon.  What is sad is how they hurt your son's feelings.  A three year old doesn't understand.

What does your husband think of what his mother did?  Is he going to call her about it?  

I have had people not show up even though they said they would and I never invited them again.  It's just rude and so inconsiderate because it is a lot of work to have a party (or family gathering etc).  They were friends though and not family.  Kind of difficult when it's family.  Your mother in law sounds like mine.  We don't see them anymore which is really sad, but we just couldn't take it anymore.  She's almost 70 and not DH real mom.   

Oh, and I have found that children's birthday parties are the worst.  You invite a bunch of kids, no one has the courtesy to RSVP, and hardly anyone shows.  It hurts your child the most and I don't understand why parents don't think about that.

AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:36 PM
We definitely won't invite them over anytime soon. Hubby is really mad too. He doesn't want to answer their calls for awhile. He is afraid he will blow up at them. We have been together over 2 years and invited his parents over often. They haven't ever done this before. What really makes me mad is that I just wanted a simple stress free day! I go back to work tomorrow after maternity leave. I am stressed enough as it is. We spent our morning cooking and cleaning for no reason. :(

Quoting IloveElephants:

Wow, that is the worst in rudeness!  I am mad just thinking about it!!!  I don't think I would invite them over again any time soon.  What is sad is how they hurt your son's feelings.  A three year old doesn't understand.

What does your husband think of what his mother did?  Is he going to call her about it?  

I have had people not show up even though they said they would and I never invited them again.  It's just rude and so inconsiderate because it is a lot of work to have a party (or family gathering etc).  They were friends though and not family.  Kind of difficult when it's family.  Your mother in law sounds like mine.  We don't see them anymore which is really sad, but we just couldn't take it anymore.  She's almost 70 and not DH real mom.   

Oh, and I have found that children's birthday parties are the worst.  You invite a bunch of kids, no one has the courtesy to RSVP, and hardly anyone shows.  It hurts your child the most and I don't understand why parents don't think about that.

IloveElephants
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Yeah, even if they apologized on their own it wouldn't take away from the fact.  Strange that they would do this since they haven't before.  

Quoting AspensMama1537:

We definitely won't invite them over anytime soon. Hubby is really mad too. He doesn't want to answer their calls for awhile. He is afraid he will blow up at them. We have been together over 2 years and invited his parents over often. They haven't ever done this before. What really makes me mad is that I just wanted a simple stress free day! I go back to work tomorrow after maternity leave. I am stressed enough as it is. We spent our morning cooking and cleaning for no reason. :(

Quoting IloveElephants:

sonogal
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:53 PM
That is horrible. I would NEVER miss a chance to be with my grandchild. Those people's priorities are screwy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lnk8522
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this
its rude.extremely inconsiderate. i wouldn't invite them over again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:09 PM
They invited the other grandkids over to there house. If they would have called us last night I wouldn't be so mad. We would have probably went to their house. But 1.5 hours before our lunch we were right in the middle of cooking! It was too late!

Quoting sonogal:

That is horrible. I would NEVER miss a chance to be with my grandchild. Those people's priorities are screwy.

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 7:11 PM

In this scenario, I would be pissed. Why say that they will come and then cancel last minute? They could have called a few days before or something. 

I have had people cancel, but never for huge meals

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)