Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

7 Extremely Valuable Money-Saving Tips From the Rich??

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:45 PM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this

7 Extremely Valuable Money-Saving Tips From the Rich

by Adriana Velez

shopaholicThis economy, I tell ya, it's tough. Everyone is feeling it, and I mean EVERYONE. Why, just today I came across these money-saving tips from some bankers and their wives. "Both bankers and their once free-spending wives are suddenly becoming familiar with the art of thriftiness," the article reads. DO TELL! "This is what they have imparted. We hope it is of use."

Oh man. I cannot wait to read these frugal living tips from the bankers and their wives. This is going to be good.  

Here's a few of my favorite tips:

1. Go on a clothes diet. One wife divorcing her banker learned she was spending $4,500 a month shopping for clothes. And you know what? You could easily cut that clothing budget in half with a minimum of social embarrassment. Just go out half as often.

2. Yank the kids out of private school and send them to public school. I think if you ask the Internet? Or your driver? You can find one near you. I hear some public schools even have books and stuff.

3. Start ironing. That's right, do your own have your wife do your ironing. Maybe even learn how the washing machine works. That thing next to it is the dryer, and it makes your clean clothes dry again. This equipment is very dangerous, so have your maid show you how to work it before attempting to do your laundry. Caution: That iron is extremely hot. But only if you plug it in and turn it on. See also: Cook your own food.

4. Travel more cheaply. Instead of paying someone to whisk your child away so you can ski in peace, drink a lot of mulled wine, and flirt with the ski instructors, consider actually skiing with your child. SIGH. “Everyone’s going down market -- even my mate who’s got more money than God.” Says someone who doesn't know what they sound like when they talk. Consider mooching off your richer friends instead of paying for a hotel. One London family who always travels to the Maldives every year visited friends in New York instead and saved over $24,000!

5. Consider selling your extra homes. Dear God. Not that!

6. Make your Real Housewife of Something get a job. Because apparently in this world, only men are bankers. Think this "working" thing is going to go over with the ladyfolk? We'll have to wait and see.

7.  Get a Prius. What is that, exactly?

Did you find any of these frugal living tips helpful?

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Um NO!!! We don't even make $4500 a month to even spend that much on clothes for all of put together. I don't even spend that much on all to us in a year. Kids already go to public school, can't afford to send 3 kids private school. we already do frugal vacations and would never think to pay someone to keep my kids to go on vacation. when they are older and we can afford more.because i can work more we might go on a 2nd honeymoons while kids stay with grandparents for free. and i would never pay someone to do our laundry
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:35 PM
oh and we only have 1 home and i have found a job
lyrick24
by Melissa on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

i dont even come near to having any of those luxuries to give up.

drivenleonian
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:28 PM
I need to be a banker. I'm marrying an electrical engineer who also writes programs, but the job market in Las Vegas has no openings for someone with his experience. It's too expensive for us to move to San Francisco so he can get a decent job.

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

Um NO!!! We don't even make $4500 a month to even spend that much on clothes for all of put together. I don't even spend that much on all to us in a year. Kids already go to public school, can't afford to send 3 kids private school. we already do frugal vacations and would never think to pay someone to keep my kids to go on vacation. when they are older and we can afford more.because i can work more we might go on a 2nd honeymoons while kids stay with grandparents for free. and i would never pay someone to do our laundry

a_and_j_momma
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Lol I will try to keep my clothes spending under $3400 a month
lillucky8
by Jen on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Ya, itll be tough, but i think we will survive lol

Quoting a_and_j_momma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlightlyPerfect
Do people parent anymore? Do they even attempt to engage their child(ren)?
Today at 7:37 PM
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Haha!!!!!!!

No.

slightlyperfect

SlightlyPerfect
Do people parent anymore? Do they even attempt to engage their child(ren)?
Today at 7:37 PM
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this

The most expensive thing in my closet is now $25 shoes from Target I needed on the day of my grandmother's funeral. I think I got this one down.

Quoting a_and_j_momma:

slightlyperfect

Terpsichore
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:55 PM

No way am I doing my own ironing OR sewing. 

Do you know how hard it is to sell a house in this economy? You can't sell it for what it's worth.

I've been considering a Prius for a while. 

bhejlik
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:55 AM

HYSTERICAL!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)