Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone do freezer meals?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:12 PM
  • 17 Replies
I have looked at many sites with freezer meal recipes but it gets overwhelming. I thought freezer meals were supposed to save time and money. Anyone know the best way to get started? Any other tips?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
caseyloo
by Casey on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I would try to start with something simple, maybe a lasagna or your favorite casserole.

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I've got some tubs of soup in my freezer right now.  I spent one day when it was cold and snowy out. Made like 4 different soups. Then divided them in containers for meals. Just the soup that requires a noodle,rice or dumpling. Like chicken soup.  I left the noodles out till I reheat.  Or they will turn to mush and fall apart when reheated.  Sometimes I make casserole or lasagne.  I make enough for 2  pans.  Put one in the freezer for later.  It's not that hard. Just means a little more ingredients. 

mamabearlehman
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:51 PM
2 moms liked this
I make them sometimes. It's easier to get started by just cooking double batches of what you're already making for dinner. Last time I made chicken alfredo lasagna I assembled 2 lasagnas, baked 1 for dinner and froze 1. You don't have to spend a whole day putting together freezer meals, you can build them up slowly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:31 PM

You have to make a plan

Shop and prep veggies one day, put the meals together the next.  Many women that do OAMC utilize their slow cookers, oven, and stovetop at the same time, but the foods are planned so they won't be ready all at the same time.  Baked beans or a pork roast for pulled pork may be cooking in the slow cooker while the oven is baking 10 pounds of potatoes for twice baked potatoes and rotating pizza crusts for frozen pizzas.  Several pounds of ground beef is browning on the stove top for various casseroles/taco meat/sloppy joe meat/chili.  A pot with a whole chicken for chicken stew could be cooking. 

While some of these things are cooking, raw chicken is put into Ziploc baggies with various sauces/marinades then sealed.  To cook, just put them in the slow cooker on the day you're planning on salsa chicken or teriyaki chicken or sweet & sour chicken or Italian grilled chicken.  You could do the same with beef steaks or pork chops.

If you have help, that's great!  I used to have a friend come over and we'd spend a couple of hours kicking out 20 pizzas for freezing -- she'd take half of them home with her and that lasted us for the rest of the month.  My kids have helped assemble twice baked potatoes, watched the meat browning on the stove, helped put casseroles together, ladled stew into freezer containers, and separated pulled pork or chicken into meal portions.

chicken13
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Like a previous person, I'll make a double of dinner and cook 1, freeze 1.  It's almost no additional time or effort.  And you use recipes you know your family will eat.

i tend to make a lot of side dishes to freeze too. Like maple glazed carrots....

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:25 PM

i dont really do this but i think i will just also cook extra of something eat one and freeze one...we dont have much storage space in the freezer

AzariahsMother
by Lynsey on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I don't.

MABmommy
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:44 PM

This sounds good on one of my days off. I'll also do what so many people are suggesting and make double every time for a while. I work such an inconsitent schedule that I want to make it easy for anyone in my house to get dinner ready at a moment's notice.

Quoting michiganmom116:

You have to make a plan

Shop and prep veggies one day, put the meals together the next.  Many women that do OAMC utilize their slow cookers, oven, and stovetop at the same time, but the foods are planned so they won't be ready all at the same time.  Baked beans or a pork roast for pulled pork may be cooking in the slow cooker while the oven is baking 10 pounds of potatoes for twice baked potatoes and rotating pizza crusts for frozen pizzas.  Several pounds of ground beef is browning on the stove top for various casseroles/taco meat/sloppy joe meat/chili.  A pot with a whole chicken for chicken stew could be cooking. 

While some of these things are cooking, raw chicken is put into Ziploc baggies with various sauces/marinades then sealed.  To cook, just put them in the slow cooker on the day you're planning on salsa chicken or teriyaki chicken or sweet & sour chicken or Italian grilled chicken.  You could do the same with beef steaks or pork chops.

If you have help, that's great!  I used to have a friend come over and we'd spend a couple of hours kicking out 20 pizzas for freezing -- she'd take half of them home with her and that lasted us for the rest of the month.  My kids have helped assemble twice baked potatoes, watched the meat browning on the stove, helped put casseroles together, ladled stew into freezer containers, and separated pulled pork or chicken into meal portions.

MABmommy
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:45 PM

You can freeze glazed carrots?! And they don't get too soggy when you reheat? Awesome tip :)

Quoting chicken13:

Like a previous person, I'll make a double of dinner and cook 1, freeze 1.  It's almost no additional time or effort.  And you use recipes you know your family will eat.

i tend to make a lot of side dishes to freeze too. Like maple glazed carrots....

kiske
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:30 PM
When I was doing it I started with the book Once a Month Cooking by Mimi Wilson and Mary Beth Lagerborg. The book has two week and 1 month recipe lists which made it easy to start. You might see if your library can get you a copy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)