Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Pet Vaccinations?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:04 PM
  • 45 Replies
Does anyone vaccinate their own pets?? I know you can't do rabies vaccines, but my vet wants to charge me about $40 for the 4 vaccine that includes Parvo (one shot). That seems like a lot. I looked online and found it for $13.

So...I'm just looking for some advice. Is it hard to do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Actually $40 is very reasonable. They charge more around here. If you keep your pet indoors and don't board her or take her in for baths or anything then Rabies is the only one required in most states. Vets will usually work out a payment plan if you need it.

As for giving your own shots, you'd have to know where it needed to be, the muscle or the vein. Also how much to give which is usually figured out by weight. If you messed it up you could be not only wasting money but doing something that could hurt your pet.

The health of my pets is worth a lot to me. However they won't take heartworm meds and I only get them Rabies because it's required. We don't have to worry about worms, kennel cough or most other things.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Not at all difficult to do.  The injection needs to go under the skin but not into the muscle.  The best place to do this is between the shoulder blades or just at the base of the neck.  Pinch a good-sized fold of skin and hold for a few minutes, then slide the needle in and give the shot while still pinching.  Pinching helps to deaden the pain (I know this from experience with my own insulin shots.)  Best to do this with someone else holding the animal steady, unless you've got a pet that just doesn't care.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Actually, the shot is a very good idea even if your pet doesn't leave your yard.  Some good friends of ours bred Golden Retrievers and were very vigilant about cleanliness, but it took just one strange dog passing through their yard to pass along parvo to two litters of pups.  They worked around the clock with meds and syringe feedings for weeks to save every last one of those pups.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Actually $40 is very reasonable. They charge more around here. If you keep your pet indoors and don't board her or take her in for baths or anything then Rabies is the only one required in most states. Vets will usually work out a payment plan if you need it.

As for giving your own shots, you'd have to know where it needed to be, the muscle or the vein. Also how much to give which is usually figured out by weight. If you messed it up you could be not only wasting money but doing something that could hurt your pet.

The health of my pets is worth a lot to me. However they won't take heartworm meds and I only get them Rabies because it's required. We don't have to worry about worms, kennel cough or most other things.

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:23 PM
We have three dogs, and I've only been charged $30 before, for licensing and rabies. We also live in an area where Parvo is very prevalent. I also take them outside frequently, in a secured backyard, in the front yard if the kids are playing there, and out for runs in orchards and along canal banks. They definitely need more than the rabies vaccine. I agree that pet health is very important, hence the question. Thank you for your thoughts.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Thanks!! I just called a friend that breeds Shi-tzus and she said she would show me how! We've never self-vaccinated before but when I called our vet to make an appointment for our new puppy they said the prices have gone up! $10 more per shot, per dog...I'm going to have to go back to work just for the health of my dogs!!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Not at all difficult to do.  The injection needs to go under the skin but not into the muscle.  The best place to do this is between the shoulder blades or just at the base of the neck.  Pinch a good-sized fold of skin and hold for a few minutes, then slide the needle in and give the shot while still pinching.  Pinching helps to deaden the pain (I know this from experience with my own insulin shots.)  Best to do this with someone else holding the animal steady, unless you've got a pet that just doesn't care.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I have cats so parvo isn't on my radar. Good to know though.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Actually, the shot is a very good idea even if your pet doesn't leave your yard.  Some good friends of ours bred Golden Retrievers and were very vigilant about cleanliness, but it took just one strange dog passing through their yard to pass along parvo to two litters of pups.  They worked around the clock with meds and syringe feedings for weeks to save every last one of those pups.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:35 PM

It's not just the shot you're paying for....they do an exam on the pups/dogs too and you pay for that.  My vet has known me for years and he'll sell me the shots at his cost because he knows I can give them to the dogs myself.  I don't do the rabies shot, but they'll let us just come in for the shot if we tell them we don't want the exam.

Quoting mybratsmom:

Thanks!! I just called a friend that breeds Shi-tzus and she said she would show me how! We've never self-vaccinated before but when I called our vet to make an appointment for our new puppy they said the prices have gone up! $10 more per shot, per dog...I'm going to have to go back to work just for the health of my dogs!!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I understand. Glad you are getting help from your friend. I was thinking of cats rather than dogs. Silly me.

Quoting mybratsmom:

We have three dogs, and I've only been charged $30 before, for licensing and rabies. We also live in an area where Parvo is very prevalent. I also take them outside frequently, in a secured backyard, in the front yard if the kids are playing there, and out for runs in orchards and along canal banks. They definitely need more than the rabies vaccine. I agree that pet health is very important, hence the question. Thank you for your thoughts.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't mess with shots for our cats, either.  They never go outdoors.  I did get them a feline leukemia shot last year after one of my sons brought over a kitten that had it bad enough to kill it.  Giving cats a shot is another story!  LOL

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I have cats so parvo isn't on my radar. Good to know though.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:54 PM

They said it was an extra $30 for the exam!!  I'm feeling ripped off!!!

Quoting michiganmom116:

It's not just the shot you're paying for....they do an exam on the pups/dogs too and you pay for that.  My vet has known me for years and he'll sell me the shots at his cost because he knows I can give them to the dogs myself.  I don't do the rabies shot, but they'll let us just come in for the shot if we tell them we don't want the exam.

Quoting mybratsmom:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)