Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Fix & Freeze Meals - Stocking the Freezer

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:59 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

Last night DH and I had a mini cooking marathon to stock the freezer some. I'm thinking of doing this atleast once every 2 weeks and also cooking double of a dinner and freezing 1/2. Last night we made:

mac and cheese (x2)

Chicken marsala (x2)

2lbs of pasta divided in 1lb bags

assembled sirloin tips & carrots for crock pot (x2)

It took about 4 hrs start to finish including clean up but now I have 8 meals that I don't have to worry about. We both work full time and things get crazy during the week with kids, homework, baths etc. Now I can just pull out a pan of mac and cheese the night before to thaw and stick in the over night of for a 1/2 hr or so..freeing up some extra time to help with homework or getting kids showered!

Do any of you make fix & freeze meals? I'd love any tips you have or recipes!!

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chicken13
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I make doubles all the time.  Meatloaf, casseroles, even veggie sides.  Saves a ton of time and money ( no driv-thru excuses)

chrissysnow22
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I am just getting back into it. i cleaned out our freezer the day before yesterday and will go to the grocery store tonight.

Decemberlov
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Let me know what you decide to make - I could use some ideas!!

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I don't do this because I don't have the freezer space. Wish I could!

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I do that all the time.  It saves time and money.  Sometimes I get things in bulk at a good price. To sweet to pass up. So I maybe once a month do a big cooking thing. Divide up meals.  But I have a upright freezer. So I can load it up heaping full.

a_and_j_momma
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:41 PM
I do occasionally but need to more
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I do doubles occasionally. I used to a lot more when I worked and even more so when I worked and could eat solids.

Now after 16 weeks without solids (I honestly do wonder how I'm alive) i just dont cook. If I cook I try to eat it.. and its painful and disgusting how it ends. :(

Right before surgery though (to have my lapband removed and hopefully VSG done) I will freezer cook my butt off for the SO. Hes more inclined to order out with money he doesnt have, than cook unless its ready to go.

I did a lot of casseroles, and vac sealed anything else, like salisbury steak, beef stroganoff lasagna and so on.

hipmamma83
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:39 AM

i need to :-)... i have 5 kids and it gets crazy sometimes

Decemberlov
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I can only imagine!! We have 2 & my mom that we take care of and things are crazy!!

Quoting hipmamma83:

i need to :-)... i have 5 kids and it gets crazy sometimes

Decemberlov
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I'm currently keeping an eye out on CL for a good deal on an upright freezer. We put ourselves on a list to purchase a whole cow, from a local farm, and will be sharing the cost with some friends.

What are some of your favorite meals to cook & freeze that reheat really well?

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

I do that all the time.  It saves time and money.  Sometimes I get things in bulk at a good price. To sweet to pass up. So I maybe once a month do a big cooking thing. Divide up meals.  But I have a upright freezer. So I can load it up heaping full.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)