Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Back from a short vacation and we didn't break the bank!

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:10 PM
  • 15 Replies

We had a great time in Portland, ME and Portsmouth, NH with places in between. Up in Maine they had Goowill stores the biggest I ever saw. I got some great dresses and a brand new bra, tags and everything.

In a boutique I got 40% off a dress because 2 plain black buttons were missing. My DH laughed at me being frugal on vacation, but it enables us to do more stuff

The place we stayed, Knights Inn in South Portland was fairly crummy. I will say the rooms were newly redone but that was the only positive we ended up changing motels and it was so much better.

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BostonMomma08
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:11 PM
I love that Goodwill in Portland! My parents live in the Portsmouth area (Stratham), what did you guys do while there?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:18 PM

We are record collectors so in Portsmouth we went to some of the local shops, got some great rare records. We ate at friendly toast and looked around in the Irish shops. Also we went to the seacoast kids exhibit in a little museum right on the water in Rye. Other things too, but I have brain fog right now.

The Maine Children's Museum and Theatre was AWESOME! Not too expensive and my 2.5 year old loved it.

Quoting BostonMomma08:

I love that Goodwill in Portland! My parents live in the Portsmouth area (Stratham), what did you guys do while there?

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM
That's fantastic!! I'm glad you had such a great time!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a_and_j_momma
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:50 PM
That's great! Welcome back
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:03 AM

yay for you girl...nice

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:03 AM

he should be so happy that you are so frugal

BostonMomma08
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:19 AM
I'm a record collector too! I love all the record shops downtown! My favorite is the one right next to Flatbread, Skelletone I think it's called...

Quoting matreshka:

We are record collectors so in Portsmouth we went to some of the local shops, got some great rare records. We ate at friendly toast and looked around in the Irish shops. Also we went to the seacoast kids exhibit in a little museum right on the water in Rye. Other things too, but I have brain fog right now.

The Maine Children's Museum and Theatre was AWESOME! Not too expensive and my 2.5 year old loved it.

Quoting BostonMomma08:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Yes, skeletone :) They have two locations now. That is also where I got a dress for 4-% off because of the buttons. We went to blue moose as well and they had a Daniel Johnston lp.

And since we're talking records, do you know of any recpies for vinyl cleaner? My 2 year old dumped out our bottle of premade stuff, its pricey and I noticed online a lot of people disagree on whats best to clean records with.

Quoting BostonMomma08:

I'm a record collector too! I love all the record shops downtown! My favorite is the one right next to Flatbread, Skelletone I think it's called...

Quoting matreshka:

Quoting BostonMomma08:

BostonMomma08
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:06 AM
I never bought any records from Bull Moose, their records are pricy, I used to buy used DVDs from them all the time though...

To clean my records I just use isopropyl alcohol diluted with a little water and I actually use an old sock to clean them! That's what an old timer at a record shop out in Northern California told me to use and I've never had any issues...

Quoting matreshka:

Yes, skeletone :) They have two locations now. That is also where I got a dress for 4-% off because of the buttons. We went to blue moose as well and they had a Daniel Johnston lp.

And since we're talking records, do you know of any recpies for vinyl cleaner? My 2 year old dumped out our bottle of premade stuff, its pricey and I noticed online a lot of people disagree on whats best to clean records with.

Quoting BostonMomma08:

Quoting matreshka:

Quoting BostonMomma08:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Yeah they are pricey and they don't know what they have. We found the Daniel Johnston and another rare record in the 25% off bin, making them reasonably priced.

Thanks for the tip, that was what I was thinking of doing.

Quoting BostonMomma08:

I never bought any records from Bull Moose, their records are pricy, I used to buy used DVDs from them all the time though...

To clean my records I just use isopropyl alcohol diluted with a little water and I actually use an old sock to clean them! That's what an old timer at a record shop out in Northern California told me to use and I've never had any issues...

Quoting matreshka:

Quoting BostonMomma08:

Quoting matreshka:

Quoting BostonMomma08:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)