Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Ladies I Need Your Help! Edit #1 Edit#2 Added What I Have On Hand

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:27 AM
  • 20 Replies

I am already pretty good at making my $100-$115 food budget work. My dh was laid off yesterday and almost all of the money he was paid had to go to our rent which was already late. I have $99 for next week (Lord willing he finds something soon). I am needing diapers for the lo and laundry detergent also. I need meal ideas that will stretch. Thank you!

Edit #1-$106.85 (I forgot about a little cash my dh has)

Edit #2-We have various pastas, mac and cheese, three chicken breasts, mozzarella, Parmesan, cheddar, eggs, grits, some tomato sauce, milk, cereal, PB&J (for kids lunches), sandwich meat (for dh's lunches), Jiffy cornbread, a few boxes of HH (that only I would eat), three frozen pizzas, milk, bread, a few cans of cream of mushroom, a big can of baked beans, a little rice, a few potatoes, flour, sugar, margarine, slice cheese, pickles, and Italian breadcrumbs, and a couple cans of tuna (only I will eat).

We were planning on making chicken parmesan with the chicken, noodles, sauce, and cheese.

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:38 AM
3 moms liked this

Get a large bag of rice.  It can be used in SOOO many different ways!  Rice pudding (works for breakfast, too) and as a base to serve chunky soups/stews over.  Also use as a base for hamburger in gravy or chicken in gravy.  Use it in chicken & rice casserole (makes a good 8 servings).

Chili:  make a big pot....separate into thirds.  Use one third over baked potatoes, mix one third with cooked macaroni for chili mac, use the last third over hot dogs wrapped in tortillas (add cheese if you can) and bake for chili dog casserole.

a package of pork breakfast sausage (1 lb. chub):  1/4 lb. for sausage & gravy over homemade biscuits....1/2 lb. with eggs & bread & milk & a bit of cheese for a large breakfast casserole (divide into two 8x8 pans to make it last for 2 meals)....1/4 lb. browned & added to an easy tomato basil soup recipe (I have the recipe if you're interested) for a " pizza soup."

Hamburger goulash using 1 lb. ground beef and 16 oz. elbow mac with a few other ingredients will easily make enough for 1 meal with leftovers.

Check out this post for more ideas:  http://www.cafemom.com/group/115445/forums/read/14985354/_5_Dinners

chicken13
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

When I was a kid, my parents used to call this kind of situation a SQUEAK.  My mom was amazing at it.  Basically, you start by pulling every bit of food you currently have out and then work a menu off what is there.  Make a list of what to buy...but it keep it real lean.  Like milk, or baking powder.  

We had some interesting meals...but some real family favorites came out of it too.  Like rye muffins...omg good.  Just so happened she had rye flour and well not much else.  As in...hope you all like rye bread. 

Good luck!

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this
I know I'll probably get some comments to this, but Mexican food is cheap to make. Rice, beans, tortillas (made from scratch), eggs, tomatoes, bell peppers...get some chicken and ground beef, a lb of mozzarella cheese - you have breakfast, dinner, desserts, a drink (horchata!)...you can make cinnamon crisps, enchiladas, empanadas, casseroles, omelettes, tacos, chili, simmer meat in chicken broth and veggies, reduce and add rice...pull stuff out of your pantry and fridge and see what else you can scrape together. I agree with the rice, that is a huge staple that you can mix in with just about anything to extend. Hope that helps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NocturnesAngel
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:21 AM

If you use Purex send me a PM and I will send you a Coupon for Laundry Detergent and Soft Scrub (if you use that also)

What other coupons do you use?

June3May4June3
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Quoting NocturnesAngel:

If you use Purex send me a PM and I will send you a Coupon for Laundry Detergent and Soft Scrub (if you use that also)

What other coupons do you use?

I usually use whatever is cheapest. I don't really coupon because I usually buy store brand for almost everything.

Decemberlov
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Beans are inexpensive and hearty - black bean bowls with some of the chicken you have with adobo, cheddar cheese, tomatos, lettuce etc.

Black beens are a great way to beef up breakfast too - sounds strance but black beans & eggs are delicious together!

Decemberlov
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this

Also, I don't know how you feel about this but there must be a local food pantry. I've heard sometimes you can get diapers there also. That's what they are there for. And when things get a little better for you financially you can donate a bag of food to them and pay it forward :)

chicken13
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:30 PM

You've got to dig deeper than that...what about flour, sugar, etc.

flour, lard and some discount produce....use your eggs and cheese and you've got a quiche. 

June3May4June3
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Quoting mybratsmom:

I know I'll probably get some comments to this, but Mexican food is cheap to make. Rice, beans, tortillas (made from scratch), eggs, tomatoes, bell peppers...get some chicken and ground beef, a lb of mozzarella cheese - you have breakfast, dinner, desserts, a drink (horchata!)...you can make cinnamon crisps, enchiladas, empanadas, casseroles, omelettes, tacos, chili, simmer meat in chicken broth and veggies, reduce and add rice...pull stuff out of your pantry and fridge and see what else you can scrape together. I agree with the rice, that is a huge staple that you can mix in with just about anything to extend. Hope that helps.

My kids are extremely picky. My dh and I would do tacos and chili but our girls would never touch them. Your other ideas may work though. Thank you!

June3May4June3
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Quoting chicken13:

You've got to dig deeper than that...what about flour, sugar, etc.

flour, lard and some discount produce....use your eggs and cheese and you've got a quiche. 

I do have flour and sugar (i don't use lard).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN