Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Yikes I didn't think it would cost me this much.

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:09 PM
  • 38 Replies
My 7yo Dd started playing softball this year. First time for any of my kids to play any team sports. Both my girls did 2 years of cheer for peewee football though, that was $60 each and it included the uniform. The only thing extra I had to get was white shoes since the coach wanted them all.to have the same color shoes.

My 6yo ds is starting TBall also. Like the cheer its only $60 for each kid but only includes tshirt. Julianna showed up to practice and was the only girl who didn't have a mitt. And then I find out she needs a helmet to bat if I don't want to risk her getting lice. And she will need knee high socks that are $8, black shorts and all the girls are getting hair ribbons (can't make her be the only one without ) And she needs cleats also., Oh and to practice at home she will need her own bat and ball. Jr starts next week and Im not sure what he will need.

I don't know what I was thinking they were going to use, lol I was not that athletic growing up and neither was Dh so sports equipment was never on my mind. So I was pricing all the equipment and Its going to cost us over $100 to get Juli started. The gloves are $25 and so are the cleats. Im hoping Jr will only need a glove and cleats. I don't mind him sharing a helmet since i can shave his head lol. but that's still $50.

Im excited for them to play and Juli is catching on fast, and she loves it. But its extremely expensive to have a well.rounded child. lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chicken13
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Adds up real quick.  My dd, who is 13, plays soccer on a regional travel team.  Big deal.  And big money.  It's $2200 a year...which includes 2 uniforms (home and away) and practice uniform.  But it doesn't include cleats $100 (2 pairs indoor and outdoor) or keeper gloves $100 (cause she's the goalkeeper) or tournament fees or special practice arena fees or the stupid black thermals I had to buy cause outdoor starts in march in nh (yes they plow the snow off fields).  Or gas.  Practice is an hour away.  Games up to two hours away. 

So I feel your pain....

lady-t3984
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Yes,it can become very expensive,, we had to pay $125 for youngest dd to partcipate on the cheerleaders,and that was for each year. She was a cheerleader from age 6-16. But,it was good for her,and the family as a whole.
lyrick24
by Melissa on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:25 PM

we only had to pay 15 dollars to join football and cheerleading and nothing for the uniforms but we did have to buy their shoes.

PinkButterfly66
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:31 PM

My daughter was on the volley ball team this year.  Towards the end of September, she twisted her knee and dislocated her knee cap.  Was out of volley ball for the rest of the season which ran tell the end of October.  I was sorry she hurt herself, not sorry that I no longer had to pick her up after practice everyday or drive 2 hrs to the away games once a week.  

Quoting chicken13:

Adds up real quick.  My dd, who is 13, plays soccer on a regional travel team.  Big deal.  And big money.  It's $2200 a year...which includes 2 uniforms (home and away) and practice uniform.  But it doesn't include cleats $100 (2 pairs indoor and outdoor) or keeper gloves $100 (cause she's the goalkeeper) or tournament fees or special practice arena fees or the stupid black thermals I had to buy cause outdoor starts in march in nh (yes they plow the snow off fields).  Or gas.  Practice is an hour away.  Games up to two hours away. 

So I feel your pain....

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM
yikes. i couldn't afford that right now. hopefully as things get more expensive for my kids I'll be working more hours and making more money.

Quoting chicken13:

So I feel your pain....

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:14 PM
2 moms liked this

They will probably hit you up for money for parties and snacks too, there is really nothing cuter than a little kid in a baseball uniform though!

Charley427
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this
My husband and I coach tball but the 60 fee includes shirt socks and hat . We have team bats amd balls plus 6 helmets yes they share none of our parents have ever had an issue. The gloves can be as little as 9.99 check walmart target amd t oys r us. My daughter is on year two with the glove she has now ans its held up great ans was only 8.99. Cleats check marshalls or walmart target.
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:02 PM
i checked academy and walmart and the cheapest online were $25. There is no Marshals around here or Toys R Us. we have academy, target and walmart around here.

Quoting Charley427:

My husband and I coach tball but the 60 fee includes shirt socks and hat . We have team bats amd balls plus 6 helmets yes they share none of our parents have ever had an issue. The gloves can be as little as 9.99 check walmart target amd t oys r us. My daughter is on year two with the glove she has now ans its held up great ans was only 8.99. Cleats check marshalls or walmart target.
JasonsMom2007
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:05 PM

DS plays tee ball.  We paid $75 for the uniform (hat, shirt, pants, socks).  We had to buy his glove and cleats.  I found a really nice pair of cleats at Ross for $15.  Wal-mart had them on clearance the other day too.  

We did end up buying him a helmet because of lice fears.  I found a used one for $5 and cleaned it well.  It's an adjustable one so it should fit him for a few years.  I found a really nice bat on clearance for $10.  I don't remember how much his glove was.  Then we bought him a bag for $10 to carry his stuff in.

The nice thing is all we had to get this year were bigger cleats.  Oh and they usually ask for $10 for trophies too.

Try places like play it again sports or craigslist.  It does add up quick!

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:08 PM
ok i looked harder at walmarts.site and found one for $13.

Quoting Charley427:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)