Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Is this a good idea?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:27 AM
  • 13 Replies
My husband and I were thinking of selling his truck and buying him a motorcycle. At this point his truck is fairly new and almost paid off.. Kbb said the sell price was 20,000 if we sell it, and 16,000 for trade in. We were looking at a used bike.. He doesn't want a "crotch rocket," more like a cruiser is what he said. He only uses his truck to drive to and from work. It doesn't have enough room for all of us in it so its pointless. I'm thinking a modest motorcycle could save us in gas and insurance costs. We would also get more for it than what a motorcycle would cost so we could put the extra towards some debt.

I just need to talk this out and see if its a good idea. I'm thinking it is, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy404204
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Ok dont know where you live but how would he get to work if it is raining or snowing? do you have a back up plan? a motorcycle is a great Idea when it is warm and sunny but when it is not it can be a big headach.

victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I live in south ga so it never snows. I wear flip flips and t shirts year round. It's actually almost 70 degrees this morning. When it rains he could take my car. I stay home most of the time if on the rare occasion I have something I had to do I could take him to work. It's only about 5 miles away at the most.

Quoting mommy404204:

Ok dont know where you live but how would he get to work if it is raining or snowing? do you have a back up plan? a motorcycle is a great Idea when it is warm and sunny but when it is not it can be a big headach.

mommy404204
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

ok well than I think it would be a great idea. would totally not work where i live in PA but down where you live I think it would work. good luck just make sure it is a nice bike with a good motor and you should be set.

NocturnesAngel
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Do you need to use the truck for picking up purchases that you can't get to fit in your car? I would suggest to remind yourselves of the reasons that you purchased a truck instead of another vehicle in the first place, then see if those reasons still apply, etc. Good Luck with whatever you decide :)
usmcwifey11
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:43 AM
I think so. My husband has been debating it as well, but I don't think he wants to deal with all the hassle.
mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:52 AM
You know when I was working, I argued the same exact thing with my husband?!?!?! I have a big crew cab pick up "because it's safe and reliable" he says (I do agree) but at the time the daycare was two blocks away and my work was 17 miles away, one way!! We were spending $120 in gas for my truck EVERY WEEK! And it was paid off. If I sold it, bought a nice Road Glide for about $5k, I could save THOUSANDS a year. He always said no. Now he wants a bike - my answer is always "no". I asked first.
If he can use your car for the rainy days and you're comfortable with him riding, then I would do it. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kiske
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Is the insurance really lower?  I'd guess for the actual property of the bike it would be but I'd definitely up the medical portion in case of an accident.

matreshka
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:15 PM

My DH's co-worker did just that, he hated it because it rains and snows here and he would always be gtrapped in it, but due to finances he had no other choice.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 5:02 PM
3 moms liked this

For safety reasons I wouldn't want my husband on a motorcycle all the time.

victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 5:06 PM
We got a quote and it was only around $33 a month.

Quoting kiske:

Is the insurance really lower?  I'd guess for the actual property of the bike it would be but I'd definitely up the medical portion in case of an accident.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)