Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

This Calculator Shows How Much Your Old Busted Fridge Costs You

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:26 PM
  • 6 Replies

This Calculator Shows How Much Your Old Busted Fridge Costs You

Your fridge is one of the most power-hungry appliances in your home, and depending on its age, it may be costing you enough in power every year that a new one would pay for itself in a short time. To find out, the Energy Star Refrigerator Retirement Savings Calculator takes the model of your fridge, estimates how much it costs per year to run, and shows you how much a newer model would cost in comparison.

The calculator is simple: you can either enter the model number of your fridge, or fill out some basic information about it. Provide your state's electricity cost (per kilowatt hour), and calculate your savings. The calculator will show you how much your current model costs you every year, and then shows you how much a newer, Energy Star certified model would set you back. Granted, you still have to do the math to find out how many years you'd have to own the new fridge for it to pay itself off in power savings.

It can also show you how much you'll pay in power if, instead of removing your old fridge, you toss it in the garage to keep sucking down power and store a few extras or cold drinks for the summertime. Either way, the calculator is useful to have around if you're thinking about upgrading your fridge, or cutting down your power bill.

Refrigerator Retirement Savings Calculator | EnergyStar.gov via Apartment Therapy

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:33 PM

You can save more than $235 over five years by replacing your old refrigerator or freezer with a new ENERGY STAR qualified model!

That's only a savings of $47 a year. 

Cool link!

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Mine is less than a year old courtesy of Sears!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:48 PM

interesting info thanks

specialwingz
by Corey on Apr. 7, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Looks like my extra fridge/freezer costs us only $109 per year.  Worth it to me for the extra space.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

A lot of libraries have a device that you plug between an electrical device, like a fridge, and the wall outlet.  It measures the amount of power actually used.

i checked it out last year cause I was hoping my ugly old fridge would be a power hungry monter worthy of replacing.  No luck. Sucker barely costs $5 a year....lol.

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 5:17 PM
very interesting!

Quoting chicken13:

A lot of libraries have a device that you plug between an electrical device, like a fridge, and the wall outlet.  It measures the amount of power actually used.

i checked it out last year cause I was hoping my ugly old fridge would be a power hungry monter worthy of replacing.  No luck. Sucker barely costs $5 a year....lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)